Buying Angelfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

tez2k007

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For a community tank which at the moment consists of 2 Dwarf Gouarmis 5 Zebra Danios and 5 Albino Corrys, I was thinking of adding an Angel Fish but have heard they can be quite aggresive in some instances. Is it best to buy them while still small so by time they get bigger they will be used to their tank mates?

Hi,

What size of set up do you have?

In my experience, adding angels when they are young does reduce the chances of them having issues with tank mates - however I've also found that no two angelfish are the same, and some tend to lean towards the aggressive side, where as others are more peaceful - it really can be a lottery.

One soluton is to try and get in contact with a supplier or breeder who can pick you out a couple of calm fish - there's no gaurantee that an angel won't have a change of heart later in it's life and become more aggressive though.

I've kept angels with opaline gouramis before and they all behaved, I now have 5 (one with a gut problem but we won't go in to that) who live alongside a huge shoal of rasboras and everyone lives peacefuly in that tank.

Were you just thinking of adding the one?

Regards,
Paul

Yeah, Angels can have totally different personalities, but it would be best to get a young group, rather than a big Adult - the only fish which might be chased are the DwarfGourami, but as they are small it could be O.k.

> Where are you located, as I'm an Angel Breeder - in N-East England.

(P.s; they like to have a well-planted tank with bogwood, a few caves/ slate pieces - they will be at the front of tank mostly when they feel 'secure' and are a great show-piece fish when fully grown.)

Yeah, Angels can have totally different personalities, but it would be best to get a young group, rather than a big Adult - the only fish which might be chased are the DwarfGourami, but as they are small it could be O.k.

(P.s; they like to have a well-planted tank with bogwood, a few caves/ slate pieces - they will be at the front of tank mostly when they feel 'secure' and are a great show-piece fish when fully grown.)

Hi my tank is 35 Gallon. Im based in Gateshead.

O.k> Is that Imperial/US Gallons - about 160 Litres? I tend to use Litres to gauge size...... I'll PM you in a minute......
My Pairs are Breeding every 10 days at the moment!

O.k> Is that Imperial/US Gallons - about 160 Litres? I tend to use Litres to gauge size...... I'll PM you in a minute......
My Pairs are Breeding every 10 days at the moment!

Ok cheers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back