Buy leaky 55g tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

outofwater

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for input for potential buy.

Found seller with a leaky 55g tank and equipment/chemicals bundle (2 filters, 2 heaters, several testing and treatments) for $100, however seller is disclosing a leak that he estimates took 2 or 3 hours to let go of 15g or so.

On the paper the price seems like a slam dunk, and I'd like to think I'm handy enough to try to tackle this. I've never had to do this though, and I don't want to end up with a lemon and a bunch of equipment that I couldn't use unless I buy a new tank.

Any info/tips on dealing with and fixing leaks? Do you think it's a good deal? Any questions that you suggest I ask the seller?

Thanks a lot peeps, appreciate the help and comments.

What filters does it come with? Personally, I don't think I would unless it is worth it to you for just the filters.

What filters does it come with? Personally, I don't think I would unless it is worth it to you for just the filters.
Tetra whisper EX70 filter (about a year old) with 7 refills
Aqueon 75g filter(about 6-7months old) and 15 refills

I wouldn't...those filters aren't exactly the best out there, and fixing a leaky tank is a chore

Why would you pay $100 for a leaky 55 gallon? Sounds like a big risk. If he gave it to you,sure,but you are well in the range of many used for sale aquariums that size and larger for the same price. They toss in the equipment most of the time.

It depends on how comfortable you are with replacing the silicone and where the leak is. It’s fairly easy to replace silicone on a tank as long as you’re patient and methodical. It’s easier to do a quick repair on the side panels than the base, but if you’re not comfortable doing it yourself then avoid the tank.

You would need to cut out the old silicone near the leak (and a bit beyond it) - you can use a paint scraper and Stanley knife, along with methylated spirits for stubborn bits. Then replace it with fresh silicone. Unfortunately, new silicone doesn’t stick to old silicone, so you’ll have to lay it down thicker than the original bead to make contact with the glass - it can look unsightly, depending on how good you are.

Have you got pictures of the tank?
If so, check the silicon for colour and air bubbles. If the silicon (glue holding the glass together) is cream or white and has bubbles in it, the silicon is breaking down and needs to be replaced.

If you can touch the tank (means going to the sellers place), press the silicon and see if it's hard or soft and slightly squishy. Good silicon should be firm but slightly squishy and have no cream or white patches and no air bubbles.

Most reactions

trending

Back