Buy And Sell Forum Issue

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fella

Research!
Reaction score
A ruling of "Don't post unless you are directly involved with a sale" I think would benefit the forum.

The reason for this is that it is the responsibility of the purchaser to decide whether or not they want to buy the item at that price.

It's always discouraged me to post items I'm selling on the forum on the basis that I could offer what I'm selling at a reasonable price, only for someone else to post "Oh, I got some really cheap at X amoutn cheaper than that". Obviously, this can discourage other people from purchasing the original item.

I'm not saying discussion should be removed from the forum, but it's very offputting to see someone offer something at the price they think the item is worth, only for someone to say "Oh, that's really expensive!" or something along those lines.

Thoughts?

A ruling of "Don't post unless you are directly involved with a sale" I think would benefit the forum.

The reason for this is that it is the responsibility of the purchaser to decide whether or not they want to buy the item at that price.

It's always discouraged me to post items I'm selling on the forum on the basis that I could offer what I'm selling at a reasonable price, only for someone else to post "Oh, I got some really cheap at X amoutn cheaper than that". Obviously, this can discourage other people from purchasing the original item.

I'm not saying discussion should be removed from the forum, but it's very offputting to see someone offer something at the price they think the item is worth, only for someone to say "Oh, that's really expensive!" or something along those lines.

Thoughts?

i agree with this. but then again i would wouldnt i :(

good point, I think that if something (lets say a juwel tank, no extras, just tank and juwel cabinet and stuff you get with it anyway) is more expensive than the original price it might be a bit harsh to let someone go and buy it not knowing, stuff like plants though, it's a bit harsh

sp00ky, if I buy any moss balls, it'll be off you anyway :D

don't know if it's possible, but what if you could make it so only the OP can post in they're own topics, then people can pm them with questions, comments etc, then if there's anything the OP wants to share they can add another post to the original topic or bump it.

I thought about that miss wiggle, but thought that it might make life very difficult to follow the progress. For instance, people may not be aware if the item is sold or whatever unless they can see it in the thread.

I thought about that miss wiggle, but thought that it might make life very difficult to follow the progress. For instance, people may not be aware if the item is sold or whatever unless they can see it in the thread.

So then if the item is sold, you make a post in the thread to tell people. Edit the title etc.

Some questions might be of general use to other potential buyers. I feel relevent discussion of the item can clarify and help. I do think it good manners for a seller to post when an item is sold though.

I think this suggestion has some merit, although from experience, I know how long it took to get the wording of the existing rules acceptable to all involved in moderating the board. I'll mention this on the mod board.

As an aside, I expect this request arises from a recent "I can get it cheaper and with free delivery" type comment. What the poster seemed to have missed is that he, and the seller were not even on the same continent, so I doubt the wonderful bargain would have panned out.

But is there any need for any "argument" at all?

I think the most effective way would be to lay the rules as thus -

- Poster makes a post, and it cannot be replied to anyone other than a mod

- Poster can edit

- People interested can ask questions Via PM

- Original poster is then encouraged to share these questions, and the reply, via an edit on the original thread. This includes when the item is sold

Anyone see any potential issues with that? I'll write up some proper buy and sell rules if you like. I could more or less copy them from my other forum.

I dont think it's fair to say because you want something like that, it has to happen, and you're going to write up the rules. Jumping the gun perhaps? How about a vote?

I personally prefer it the way it is. That way if someone posts a request, and someone's attempting to rip them off, folks can tell them or point them towards someone cheaper. And TBH, it would only make it easier for folks to charge people much more than things are worth - without anyone being able to say "Hey, I dont think so!".

Another good reason to not go ahead with your plan, is because it is less likely that someone will take time out to pm than they would to answer on there. Also, not only are the classifieds a useful place for buyers and sellers, but also for those also looking for the same things to read where to look and who to ask. If it were all conducted via pms, there'd be far more posts asking the same things purely because people couldn't see answers to other people's queries.

Plus it'd be an even higher workload for the mods. Methinks if sellers are concerned about folks piping up offering cheaper options, they shouldn't ask over the odds for things - if they dont have anything to hide, they are perfectly capable of defending themselves or choosing to advertise on the free ads or similar where replies are not possible.

And I am in no way talking about Spooky here. There's been far worse prices posted on the boards than 50p higher than an Ebay seller LOL!

I like the pm only idea.. people have questions.. pm the person selling it. You think you can get it cheaper somewhere else, pm the person selling it.

I dont think it's fair to say because you want something like that, it has to happen, and you're going to write up the rules. Jumping the gun perhaps? How about a vote?

It isn't more work for the Mods. That is one of the reasons I've offered to help, so that there doesn't need to be any more work for the Mods. Doesn't hurt to give a little back to the forums, especially as I've already done the majority of the work already elsewhere on the internet. The only thing the Mods would have to do would be pin a topic, add the rules and change the settings on the forum so that Users can make posts but not reply. If you think that's too much work for them, then what are they here for eh? ;)

I'd be more than happy for it to go to a vote, but to be honest, I think the Mods should decide.

I personally prefer it the way it is. That way if someone posts a request, and someone's attempting to rip them off, folks can tell them or point them towards someone cheaper. And TBH, it would only make it easier for folks to charge people much more than things are worth - without anyone being able to say "Hey, I dont think so!".
The way I see it, and the way it is in most other transactions other than online forums, is that it is the responsibility of the buyer to decide whether or not they feel the item they are buying is good value.

Another good reason to not go ahead with your plan, is because it is less likely that someone will take time out to pm than they would to answer on there. Also, not only are the classifieds a useful place for buyers and sellers, but also for those also looking for the same things to read where to look and who to ask. If it were all conducted via pms, there'd be far more posts asking the same things purely because people couldn't see answers to other people's queries.

You'll see this is addressed; Sellers should be encouraged to post any queries, and their reply, in the original thread as an edit.

Plus it'd be an even higher workload for the mods. Methinks if sellers are concerned about folks piping up offering cheaper options, they shouldn't ask over the odds for things - if they dont have anything to hide, they are perfectly capable of defending themselves or choosing to advertise on the free ads or similar where replies are not possible.
But why should a seller ever have to defend the price they're offering? I saw (I think it was Rooster) post recently that if a user wanted to advertise a £10 note for £20 then they should be allowed to, it is the responsibility of the buyer to decide whether or not they're getting a good deal. If you've got the internet, you've got access to ebay, and how long does it take to check there and see if a similar product is for sale (or sold...) recently at a similar price? Or look online at other stores? It is the buyers responsibility, it is only online forums where people totally unrelated can chip in and say they don't think a price is fair. And why?

And I am in no way talking about Spooky here. There's been far worse prices posted on the boards than 50p higher than an Ebay seller LOL!

I never even saw Spooky's thread, I only found out there had been a recent issue after they posted in this thread. The fact that it happens so regularly is surely testament that perhaps it needs changing?

That way if someone posts a request, and someone's attempting to rip them off, folks can tell them or point them towards someone cheaper.

This is true, and there are a lot of newbies on the boards trying to buy cheap supplies and have no idea what a Rio goes for, but alas it is always Buyer Beware - you can get a really good deal, like I did on my 6ft tank, or you can spent too much and regret it later.

I think keeping the board as it is would suffice. Pretty much it's up to the buyers to do their research, if they want it and are willing to pay for it, they should buy it. The £10/£20 comment is exactly right, something is worth what you are willing to pay for it, unless you are being misled about it's condition or function, and I haven't personally seen any complaints along those lines on there at all.

If your price is fair you have nothing to worry about. I like having people warn me or tell me things I don't know. One of the biggest reasons I chose this site is because of how people here look out for each other and help everyone try to get the right info and good deals.

If I wanted to be on my own to find correct info and what fair prices are I wouldn't be here. Helping and looking out for eachother is what this forum is about isn't it?

I think it is fair to expect to be warned if a product is not a good deal. If a person is really planning to purchase your item they will do so no matter what someone else says unless it really isn't fair. If that is infact the case then... Shame on them for trying to screw the innocent!

Just my 2 cents... I like it just the way it is. I depend on all those that you want to shut up as I don't know what things are worth yet. By the way they also tell us when things are a good deal and help the seller too. If all your deals are good you have nothing to worry about.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back