Burrowing Fish - Id?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

n3ont3tra

Lets go Flyers
Reaction score
Hi guys. :)
Nearly a year ago I got some plants from my LFS and found that a fish had hitchhiked along with them. It looked like a small pleco or some kind of algae eater. It was obviously a bottom feeder, so i just tossed it in the tank (29g peaceful community) and forgot about it.
Fast forward to today - tank is in major need of a water change and a good rearranging. There's some dead plants and tons of debris and stuff. So I'm vaccuming out the sand, and i see what looks like a dead leaf. So I grab it... and it swims away. :blink: I actually screamed. It's the same fish from before, and it immediately swims down to the bottom and buries in the sand.
I have no idea what it is, or what it's been eating. It hasn't grown much at all, so I'm assuming it's at its max size of around an inch and a half. Upon closer inspection, it looks like it has whiskers like some kind of catfish (not a cory...)
I have some kuhli loaches and one small upside-down catfish, as well as some tetras.
I'll post some pics as soon as i figure out how to get them off my phone.
:)

Just it's tail
578589083_photobucket_38679_.jpg

578589083_photobucket_38680_.jpg

And a few hours later just it's head.
578589083_photobucket_38681_.jpg

edit: looking in the species index, it looks quite a lot like a banjo catfish, but it's certainly not anywhere close to 15cm and has hardly grown since i got it...

I think you'll find there's more than one species of fish known as a banjo catfish; yours is obviously one of them; exactly which one I'm not expert enough to be able to tell.

I think you'll find there's more than one species of fish known as a banjo catfish; yours is obviously one of them; exactly which one I'm not expert enough to be able to tell.

Yep, i was gonna say frying pan catfish. Looks great! :good:

does anyone have any care info? do they prefer to be in groups or singularly?

I have one. Sometimes it doesn't move for days! I don't think it requires ANY care! Mine is about a year old; 3 inches.

Let's go Flyers!

Lol thats what it seems like.

And yes! flyers!!

I have no idea what kind of fish it is, but I must say, that last photo of its head sticking out of the sand is just too adorable!!! :wub:

Just seen some of these in my LFS today, at first i thought it was dead as there was tiny BN plecs (half inch) sitting on top of it then it shot into the sand lol - pretty cool :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back