Burmese Border Sand Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mikev

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Common Name: Burmese-Border Sand Loach, sometimes sold as Saddleback loach (incorrect) or Striped loach.

Scientific name: Schistura poculi

Family: Balitoridae.

Origin: Asia (Thailand, Burma and Laos).

Maximum Size: - 2-3"

Care - Provide plenty of hiding and resting places and good water conditions. As with most Botias, group is preferrable, but Schistura Poculi's are not social. Guidelines for other small loaches (like Polka-dot) are applicable.

Feeding - Most foods are accepted.

Sexing and Breeding - little or nothing known.

Compatibility - A small sized Loach which suits any peaceful community tank.

Lifespan 5-6 years.

Comments/Personal Observations - Schistura Poculi care and behavior is similar to the more common polka-dot loach, but being a smaller fish, it can be kept in a smaller tank. Like many loaches, they may exhibit abnormal aggressive behavior for about a month after being moved; my six loaches actually tried to chase Giant Danios--without much luck. During the initial period, Schistura's would also establish the hierarchy by chasing each other, swimming in spirals or circles. After they settle in, Schistura's are fairly shy, and I usually do not see more than two at a time. Unlike polka-dots they don't take flakes from the surface, but dropping flakes are eaten. Shrimp pellets seem to be particularly liked.

Similar species S.Poculi markings are very similar to several other species, among these most common is S.Mahnerti. S.Mahnerti is a larger species (up to 3"), usually with more and brighter red in the tail, and a very different temperament: it is strongly territorial, and animals may fight, occasionally to the death, if the tank does not provide enough territory and hiding spaces. To try to identify the species, use KOTTELAT, M. Indochinese Nemacheilines, a revision of nemacheiline loaches (Pisces: Cypriniformes) of Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia and southern Viet Nam.

While the stripe pattern does not change, some Schistura's are light and some are dark; further, some have reddish tails (two of six in my tank do); there is a picture on loaches.com showing a Schistura Poculi with bright red tail.

For comparison, below is a picture of a Schistura with a (2") Polka-dot:

Some odd personal observations: the back of their eye balls is reflective, and if you look at a loach that faces you for a few minutes, you may see a flash of two bright dots... one time I've seen a Schistura changing color: first the tail part became lighter, in a hour about half of the loach was light, with a sharp division line between light and dark in the middle of the loach, in another hour the entire loach became lighter than before. These loaches seem to be prone to obesity: mine became considerably fatter than when bought.

After nearly two years of keeping them, I have seen only a single fight, this is very atypical for Schistura species, who tend to be territorial and aggressive to other schistura's. The fight was caused by me moving the favorite hiding place, and despite real efforts put in by the combatants did not result in any noticeable damage.

Attachments

• shistura28bn.jpg
    shistura28bn.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 216
  • shistura4du.jpg
    shistura4du.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 214

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back