Bump on betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BMBLSAD

Reaction score
Over the last 24 hours, my male betta has developed a lump on his right side. He's about a year old and is still acting normally, flaring and begging and investigating his tank.

I just moved him from his 5.5g to an established 15g on Sunday. Here's his current setup.
- 15 gallon that he shares with a female BN pleco and a nerite
- sand substrate with marginally healthy live plants (crypts, vals, water sprite)
- pH: 8.2 (consistent)
- ammonia: 0
- nitrites: 0
- nitrates: 20 (constant battle to keep them down)
- feed 6-8 omega one betta buffet pellets daily, fast on Friday. Alternate pellets with bloodworms, dafnia, bug bites on occasion. I also add algae wafers and bug bites for bottom feeders for the pleco and snail.
- last water change: 50% on sunday; just did another 50% today
- temp: 77
- filter: sponge and small hob (which I planned to remove soon)

Things on hand: aquarium salt, catalpa leaves, kanaplex, Jungle fungus clear, 5.5 hospital tank.

Posting pics. Any ideas (a) what it is and (b) what action I should take?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• HB bump1.jpg
    HB bump1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 64
  • HB bump2.jpg
    HB bump2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 70
  • HB bump3.jpg
    HB bump3.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 83
  • HB bump4.jpg
    HB bump4.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 69
  • HB bump5.jpg
    HB bump5.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 67
  • HB bumpmosaic.jpg
    HB bumpmosaic.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 61
Beautiful betta. I am not sure what might be causing this bump, some other members are more knowledgeable about this. Your nitrate is very high. Try testing plain tap water to see if the nitrates are present before entering your tank

I just read that this has happened over the last day. That’s not a tumor. @Colin_T could this be bacterial?

I doubt this is bacterial or a tumour. Tumours take time to grow and if this happened over a 24 hour period, it isn't a tumour.

It doesn't look like a bacterial infection and if the fish is still eating well it's unlikely to be bacterial.

It's possibly organ failure/ rupture, a cyst or a hernia. Organ failure would normally cause the fish to stop eating. A hernia is a possibility but it's rare in fish. Cysts normally take a bit longer than 24 hours to grow that big.

I would say it is an internal problem with something having ruptured or pushed out of place. The swim bladder might have pushed out in one section. It could also be something else.

At this stage just monitor the fish and when it stops eating or has trouble swimming, euthanise it.

You can try doing daily water changes for a week but I doubt it will help.

okay - well, not good news but reality is reality. I'll monitor and hope. And order some clove oil.

Thanks everyone for helping out here.
Beth

Agree with a tumor, but as a side note the PH of 8.2 is very high for a betta's liking unless he's already acclimated to that PH. They prefer 6-7. Other than that I have no idea what is going on with your beautiful boy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back