Bullying problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, in my mixed tank all has been well but now 1 or 2 barbs are actively hunting 1 of my angels. The others are fine and the barbs don't target any other so why just 1 Angel ? Today it has shredded fins and is not happy. I can't move either as shrimps will be eaten. I'm considering gettin rid of barbs but maybe too late for that Angel . I saw it getting nipped and it was not pretty sight. They are constant at it so iv turned lights off.

Move either the attacker or the victim to another container, even if just a large plastic tote. How amy barbs do you have? They are more aggressive in smaller groups

Hey. Would you like to add some more info?

What size tank? What kind of barbs?

What is your stocking? all fish and sizes.

Some barbs can be very nippy, especially when not kept in big enough groups. The long flowing fins are targets for nippy fish.

Last edited:
Hi, in my mixed tank all has been well but now 1 or 2 barbs are actively hunting 1 of my angels. The others are fine and the barbs don't target any other so why just 1 Angel ? Today it has shredded fins and is not happy. I can't move either as shrimps will be eaten. I'm considering gettin rid of barbs but maybe too late for that Angel . I saw it getting nipped and it was not pretty sight. They are constant at it so iv turned lights off.
Angels and barbs should never be kept together as barbs are notorious fin nippers and angels are slow moving with long fins that make easy targets. Angel fish also belong in shoals of at least 5 which require at least a 100 gallon tank. Fish shoal for safety reasons and a lone angel in a tank with barbs is a sitting duck. The fish need to be separated or the barbs will kill the angel.

I agree with @utahfish and would get rid of the barbs. I had a mated pair of angelfish which is the only way you should keep them if you are going to have less than 5. I kept them in a 55 gallon tank, I would not keep them in anything smaller than that. My angelfish grew to 6 inches and almost 5 inches (body)

Ended up running a second tank because the cherry barbs looked like they were going to hassle the longfin bristlenose pleco. I never let them actually get as far as nipping. As soon as they started following the plec around and attempting to nip (the plec would scurry off before they did damage, but clearly was not happy about this), they got shifted to a 60l tank I bought in a hurry that night off some guy on Gumtree. Later it got upgraded to a 125.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back