Bullying platy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

david.molloy2009

Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right place.

I need some advice about my platys.
I have 5 platys in my tank, 3 females, 2 males. I'm pretty sure all 3 of my females are pregnant.
Chloe has been pregnant the longest. One of the males constantly pesters her, chasing, pinning her in corners. Most of the time she is trying to get away from him and has taken to hiding behind the filter. He still gets behind and chases her out.

Is this normal behaviour, what can I do to help her?
Any advice really appreciated.

On a second question.
It looks like all 3 platys are still pregnant however a week or so ago we found 2 fry tucked in corners. Is it possible that one of the females have given birth to a few fry but has kept hold of a few?

Not sure if this is in the right place.

I need some advice about my platys.
I have 5 platys in my tank, 3 females, 2 males. I'm pretty sure all 3 of my females are pregnant.
Chloe has been pregnant the longest. One of the males constantly pesters her, chasing, pinning her in corners. Most of the time she is trying to get away from him and has taken to hiding behind the filter. He still gets behind and chases her out.

Is this normal behaviour, what can I do to help her?
Any advice really appreciated.

On a second question.
It looks like all 3 platys are still pregnant however a week or so ago we found 2 fry tucked in corners. Is it possible that one of the females have given birth to a few fry but has kept hold of a few?
Hey! You can put this thread in livebearers but a mod will put it in there for you as of now...

Your male is becoming aggressive because your female is pregnant. This is common behavior and won't go away. You can add more females and/or get a larger tank.
Personally, when this happened to me, I rid of the aggressive male and got a new one. He was in shock at the settled tank and the females made sure he knew they were there before him. He never acted out against the females until several months later but it wasn't terrible.

What are your parameters? Higher temps can increase aggression.

Hey! You can put this thread in livebearers but a mod will put it in there for you as of now...

Your male is becoming aggressive because your female is pregnant. This is common behavior and won't go away. You can add more females and/or get a larger tank.
Personally, when this happened to me, I rid of the aggressive male and got a new one. He was in shock at the settled tank and the females made sure he knew they were there before him. He never acted out against the females until several months later but it wasn't terrible.

What are your parameters? Higher temps can increase aggression.
Parameters
Ammonia 0, nitrate 20 nitrite 0 pH 7.6 temp 20.7 (I think)

There is currently 2 male and 3 female in there. The smaller male doesn't seem to get a look in or bother the females so I think I will have to consider this option. Feel a bit guilty though as he was one of the first I got when I set up the tank for the kids

Most reactions

Back