Bullied Fish -what to do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

msmtinct

Reaction score
I have 6 cichlids which we rescued after they were abandoned at the local PetSmart at the beginning of the pandemic. They are in a 55 gallon tank with lots of hiding place decor and live plants. Also in the tank are platys and a pleco. A few weeks ago I noticed that one of the blue ones was acting weird and hiding a lot. At first I thought the fish might be ill but now I think it is being bullied by the other cichlids. I see that its fins are a bit tattered and so on. Would it be advisable to move it to another tank? I also have a 20 gallon tank with platys and 2 Cory catfish. Open to suggestions.

It needs to be removed, but is it compatible in your other tank? Any idea what species it is?

The 20 gallon tank has platys and 2 Cory catfish as I noted above. I know it is an African Cichlid but that's about it.

The 20 gallon tank has platys and 2 Cory catfish as I noted above. I know it is an African Cichlid but that's about it.
That narrows it down to 1300 species. Some need hard water, some need soft. Some will kill your Platies and Corys, some won’t. :)

I got some photos. The fish was hiding so it took a while. I have one more that I haven't been able to get a photo of so I will post that one later.

Attachments

• 20211015_132950.jpg
    20211015_132950.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 92
Can you get a picture that doesn’t show the fish as an unidentifiable blur? It looks like an mbuna but that’s as much as I can tell.

One of the orange cichlids is the tormenter. Moved the beaten up one to the other tank.

Treated the bullied Cichlid with Melafix and he/she seems to be doing well amongst the platys and 2 Cory catfish in its new 20 gallon home.

Most reactions

trending

Back