Bulk packaging

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator āš’ļø
Reaction score
When it comes to fish food...
Only bulk packaging for me...
IMG_3354.JPGIMG_3356.JPG
With 80+ tanks, this is the best affordable way to feed those fish. And no matter what kind of fish food, the quality is great!

What type of flakes are those and where do you get them?
Iā€™m thinking about buying a huge bag of flakes for my future dwarf rasboras, but I donā€™t know if I want to buy a lot of one brand since I want a bunch of different brands for variety.

What type of flakes are those and where do you get them?
Iā€™m thinking about buying a huge bag of flakes for my future dwarf rasboras, but I donā€™t know if I want to buy a lot of one brand since I want a bunch of different brands for variety.
This bag contains a variety of flakes.
I do get my fish food mostly from a german wholesaler. Overhere in Europe, a lot of brands come from the same factory. They just put them in printed bags and cans with a brand name on them. Not all brands produce their own fish food.
But the reason why I prefer bulk packaging is because of my number of tanks.

This is a difficult question, because many members have fierce loyalties to one brand or another. Right now, the only brand my killies will eat seems to be soldier fly based bug bites flakes, or pellets run through a grinder. But when I had many tanks of livebearers, rainbows, cichlids, rasbora and others, I bought bulk flakes. I got them from several sources, who I think all got it from the same source. I bought 500 gram bags, usually three types at a time. I removed small amounts, and froze the rest.

Now, I have been buying brand name flakes, of several brands, and really, I see no difference with it, and the infinitely less expensive bulk product I used to buy. Growth rates, colour, overall health, breeding - nothing has changed except the number of flake eating fish I have.

This goes against the advice I see here, but it is my experience.

Whether I bought in Canada, or picked things up when I was visiting the US, I seemed to get the same product from the more inventive mail order places. I haven't ordered for a few years but ken's fish was good. I'm sure there are many others.

The issue is how many fish you have. A pound of flake will be stale long before someone can use it unless they have a huge set up. It begins to degrade, vitamin-wise, after less than a year. The difference isn't huge, but it does happen.

I only buy in bulk from Heron's. Did my 8 monthly order a couple weeks ago and decanted from bags to airtight containers... (the blue lids are used to measure out the food prior to feeding time, makes things much easier when food is in kitchen cupboard and aquariums are in the lounge)

IMG_20230314_110948_resized_20230314_111028201.jpg

I see no difference with it
Overhere in Western Europe, a lot of fish food brands come from the same factory. They are only labeled differently with the brand name. And in a sudden it has to cost more to keep the image of the brand name high.
A pound of flake will be stale long before someone can use it unless they have a huge set up.
Like I have, well filled 80+ tanks.

Overhere in Western Europe, a lot of fish food brands come from the same factory. They are only labeled differently with the brand name. And in a sudden it has to cost more to keep the image of the brand name high.

Like I have, well filled 80+ tanks.
Hereā€™s something I find hilarious. Many in fish Facebook groups say theyā€™re selling their own fish food, implying they make it. But so far as I can tell, they are getting it from big companies that bag it with the sellerā€™s name and picture on the bag. lol. Needless to say, this stuff is very expensive and some sellers are really aggressive about selling it. I had to leave a few FB groups because these guys would not stop PMā€™ing me to buy their fish food.

Hereā€™s something I find hilarious. Many in fish Facebook groups say theyā€™re selling their own fish food, implying they make it. But so far as I can tell, they are getting it from big companies that bag it with the sellerā€™s name and picture on the bag. lol. Needless to say, this stuff is very expensive and some sellers are really aggressive about selling it. I had to leave a few FB groups because these guys would not stop PMā€™ing me to buy their fish food.
There are people who do make their own fish food. But fish food as we know it from retail are made at a factory. So, if those people claim that they have similar fish food that are theirs, they must have purchased it from a factory as bulk packaging and filled them in bags, cans or small containers to resell them.
I'm on FB too and I do get pm's from them with the request to buy from them but I refuse them all.

There's a woman connected to our local club who makes her own food, baked in the oven and apparently very good. I have never bought it because I usually feed a lot of live food, and it is also in pieces too large for my fish. But people do make their own foods - I have done it many times following old hobbyist recipes. I am waiting to be invited to the Great British Fishfood Blender Off, but the text and the plane ticket just never come.

Most repackage. There was one who bothered me a bit, but mostly with "natural" food and naturopathy for fish stuff. That company had a lot of claims I could see no evidence for. We have tons (actually, hundreds of tons) of choices, and most are good. It's up to us to do 20 minutes' research to see how those choices fit with what our fish eat in nature.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back