Bulging eyes and fish dying

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, all has been well but since introducing some more corys, iv had 2 angels 4 corys, 4 neons all suddenly die. Water checks out ok atm and has been fine. No real signs of disease, in fact the last Angel seemed very quiet for a day, then next he was dead. Now I may have a clue because now iv seen 2 cory with eyes bulging so expecting the worst . Iv done a water change n will do another now as I don't think it can hurt, but what causes sudden bulging eyes ? I had this once with 1 fish a while back and it cured itself. It seems that whenever I add fish I lose some so suspect ammonia, but why only effecting certain fish or have I introduced something. Any advise most welcome.

Bulging eyes (popeye) is usually caused by poor water quality. What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change each time?
Did you quarantine your new fish?

If the new fish were not quarantined, its definitely possible that they've introduced some disease to the other fish. The fact that they show signs of Popeye indicates problems with the water quality, which also could have caused the other fish to die. Telling us your water parameters would be helpful in figuring out the problem.

pictures?

if this started shortly after introducing new fish, they probably introduced a bacterial infection.

Iv done 2x 50% water changes, in 3 days
Water tests as it always has ,basically my tap water
Ammonia, nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
I cleaned out canister correctly
Stopped feeding 3 days ago
Sorry haven't got anything to take a pic of now
Other fish, danios, gouramis, platys seem as normal
Didn't quarenteen as not available
Any ideas other than the water changes
Have plants and snails so chemicals bother me as well as salt.

you need to medicate the tank with something that treats fungal, bacterial and protozoan infections. if you don't treat them now, everything will die.

salt is the safest but might not work on all bacterial infections.
if you use salt, add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of tank water. keep salt in the tank for 2 weeks.

if there's no improvement after a couple of days, get medication.

Ok thanks, is pro reef sea salt ok ?
More shocking deaths, 4 hrs ago this angel was perfectly happy and the neon was as well.

Attachments

• 20200624_092815.jpg
    20200624_092815.jpg
    929.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200624_092207.jpg
    20200624_092207.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • 20200624_092455.jpg
    20200624_092455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
I tend to agree Colin,,,now Iv got these 2 out soon as I woke up after 3 hrs sleep. Cory has bulging eyes but has been like it for over a day.

you can use marine salt or just get rock salt, which is cheaper.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back