Building A Tank - A Basic Guide

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
ok, I found a million links after a quick search

this one is great: http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

If you need to do calculations to change between imperial and metric (i'm from australia) I find Google Calculator is the quickest and easiest way

example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...amp;btnG=Search

enter what you need converted into the search bar, and it will process it for you instead of searching the web

example: Google search for

5 feet in inches

comes up as

60 inches

From the linked calculator you could build basically anything from a 4ft to an 8ft tank with 8mm glass AS LONG AS it's no TALLER then 18 inches... height being the obvious factor involved in calculating how much pressure the unit can deal with.

How much does it cost to make a tank compared to buying one? I want to make an extremely low one for shrimp, killifish, and bottom dwellers.

I think it depends on the size of the tank. I bought my 2.5 gallon tank for $10 and it even comes with a nice glass lid that fits flush with the plastic frame. I doubt you can build that yourself for that cheap if you have to buy the clamps, glue, and have the glass cut and purchased. For big tanks it might be cheaper to build but then bigger tanks are more complicated and the seams have to be a lot stronger.

i'v been wanting to make my own tank since i started keeping fish! this has make me do it, im plaing on getting every thing read torrmow! :p

Good Lord i wonder if i could build an 8 footer like that lol :lol:

...now i know what todo with the old green house glass, even got some spare glass in the garage, and even a glass cutter if i can find it -_-

:edit:

my tank project has begun :)
Greenhouse glass is usually about 3mm & a bit thin & fragile for tank use.Don't try using an ancient cheap glass cutter get a good one or you will use more glass to fill the dustbin than make the tank!

I may give it a go. All the 4 foot tanks on ebay are just not tall enough for my liking so I am going to price up the glass tomorrow to make one 45" long X 12" deep and 21" tall. That should give me a 41 gallon tank for my cichlids.
I found some corner clamps cheap on ebay (my favourite shop).

I may give it a go. All the 4 foot tanks on ebay are just not tall enough for my liking so I am going to price up the glass tomorrow to make one 45" long X 12" deep and 21" tall. That should give me a 41 gallon tank for my cichlids.
I found some corner clamps cheap on ebay (my favourite shop).
Line the corner clamps with rubber,old inner tube will do.Glue the rubber onto the jaws of the clamp,tighten the clamp to compress the joint,trim off excess rubber round the jaws.Much easier than using pieces of loose material,it doesn't require so many hands to hold it in position!Go easy on tightening the clamps up.

What about a lid? How will light the tank and make sure that any excitied fish, such as plecos, don't jump out?

Surely most tanks need a lid? :huh:
IVE JUST BUILT A TANK FOR THE FIRST TIME AND SOME THINGS I WOULD SHARE ARE...
1)search e bay for silicone.got mine half the price it is in the shops.only use aquarioum stuff tho!
2)plan your construction well cos the silicone skins over in about 4 mins at average room temp.once its skined over you really cant mess with it .do not construct in a hot room/hot weather unless you can move really quickly.i mean REALLY quick.
once you start building theres no stopping!
3) for hoods and drip trays just silicone a one inch wide strip of glass around the inside of the top of the tank. this also strengthens the glass from bowing with the weight of the water.its not really ness on small tanks but most people will want a drip tray at the very least.
4)if you want to make a big/complex/special tank and have never done it before its worth practicing with some odd bits of glass just to get the knack.my tank looks good but it only just worked out that way! if i made another im sure it would be twice as good.
5) from what ive read,you shouldnt put new silicone on top of existing silicone as it doesnt really stick properly.ie dont build anything that leaks! be very thourough during construction.

What keeps the weight of the water from making this tank bust open? Would it be a good idea to get some strong 1" wood and make a frame on the top and bottom and pull the frame nice and tight to hold the glass in place?

I'd rather make my nano reef tank (12g) but a tank leak or failure is extra catastrophic in a reef tank.

Also, what chambers would I need to build?

You guys know that they sell aquarium silicone and epoxy at petsmart and petco, right? You can get it off of their websites for surprisingly low prices. :thumbs:

im building my tnak and it just dawned on me after fixing the front and back panels how do i fit the side ones iside when theres silicon blocking it!

do over i guess.
i guess i should leave like a few cms of corner to finish it up but what are the chances of this leaking?
how did you do it in your tanks?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back