Bugs and white stuff on fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

momsspaghett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. Came home from work today and noticed bugs on the side of the glass that are jumping around on top of the water as well. I have had these bugs jumping around before but they eventually went away, can't remember if they are harmless or not. I have noticed white "spores" or "spider web like" stuff on my plant which I think may be a source to this problem. The plant itself has begun losing its leaves from the bundle which I think means it is dying and becoming infected. There are bladder and ramshorn snails from plants I have gotten so they may also be a factor for diseases. My high fin catfish looks to be infected as he has white matter on him, looks like eggs of some sorts. He was always hanging around the plant that looks infected. Completely taken him out of the tank and remaining oto and danios stay in the tank. Any advice or information? Quite upset and aggravated as my tests have been perfect, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate. Tank is completely cycled and heavily planted. Have had lotus seeds growing in the tank and a few have been moldy (one of the pictures will show one of those seeds, under the bridge decor) have taken all the moldy seeds out, will completely redo the tank. Please take a look of the pictures, I would appreciate it greatly, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_161252.jpg
    IMG_20210412_161252.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210412_161258.jpg
    IMG_20210412_161258.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210412_161817.jpg
    IMG_20210412_161817.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20210412_161819.jpg
    IMG_20210412_161819.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210412_162224.jpg
    IMG_20210412_162224.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20210412_163909.jpg
    IMG_20210412_163909.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20210412_164021.jpg
    IMG_20210412_164021.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20210412_164031.jpg
    IMG_20210412_164031.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 112
Do a huge, 80% water change immediately. What fish are in the tank? Iā€™ve never experienced this but if it were me I would move all the fish to quarantine. Do daily 80% water changes. Perhaps use something to treat external parasites such as an ich medication. See if that helps. I would break the main tank down and clean with bleach and water. Then rinse it very well with Prime several times. Donā€™t re-use any of the substrate or drift wood from original tank. Clean other decor in bleach water along with the tank.

Do a huge, 80% water change immediately. What fish are in the tank? Iā€™ve never experienced this but if it were me I would move all the fish to quarantine. Do daily 80% water changes. Perhaps use something to treat external parasites such as an ich medication. See if that helps. I would break the main tank down and clean with bleach and water. Then rinse it very well with Prime several times. Donā€™t re-use any of the substrate or drift wood from original tank. Clean other decor in bleach water along with the tank.
There was a guppy in the tank and that one died so I think that was the host for the parasite. The catfish is the only one showing ich and I removed plants that look dead but I'm not willing to throw away all of them. The substrate I have to keep cause of all the nutrients it already has in it. Going to clean tank and get some ich medicine and see if that works for the fish.

There was a guppy in the tank and that one died so I think that was the host for the parasite. The catfish is the only one showing ich and I removed plants that look dead but I'm not willing to throw away all of them. The substrate I have to keep cause of all the nutrients it already has in it. Going to clean tank and get some ich medicine and see if that works for the fish.
Worth a try but you may be spinning in circles. I hope it works out for you. Keep s posted.

Worth a try but you may be spinning in circles. I hope it works out for you. Keep s posted.
so the bugs are springtails and are harmless. As for the catfish, I assume it came from the guppy which passed or from the fish place I got him from. Guppy was the only one from petco which usually carry diseases most of the time. My fish tank has been fine since 2 days and the plant which had the white spors on it also came from petco which I assume was where it came from.

Thank you again @SeaAngel for helping me out. Gutted the tank and setting the heater on 85-90 F to kill off the ich IF it is still in the tank. New water in and primed the hell out of the tank. Would you recommend to keeping the fish out a day or two? They have been in cups for about 2-3 days so far and aren't heated. I keep them by the window seal hoping they get some sort of heat. Added safe start in the tank, rinsed out somewhat of the filter bio with HOT water along with decor and a few of the plants. Ammonia is looking to be .25 which is expected as my tap is around that much and the water in the tank is mainly from my tap. Checking waters everyday, hoping the cycle isn't completely screwed up. Did that 80-90% water change. Killed all of the springtails/bugs jumping around in the tank, took out plants which looked dead and had those white spores on them, most pest snails are gone as well and fish which were sick have passed.

Did you save any of your old filter media to seed the tank? If so, I would add the fish back. They must likely need treatment too. Treat the entire tank, fish and all. Watch your parameters and do water changes if params spike. Hope all works out for you.

Did you save any of your old filter media to seed the tank? If so, I would add the fish back. They must likely need treatment too. Treat the entire tank, fish and all. Watch your parameters and do water changes if params spike. Hope all works out for you.
Yeah I'm using the same filtration and everything. So far the water parameters are looking good. I probably will slowly add a fish in the tank so the tank doesn't spike. Treat them with what? Ich medication? I have been analyzing them for the past 4-5 days and haven't seen any white spots. The catfish was the one that mainly had it and I think the ich was on the bottom floor where he dwelled mostly. The surface swimmers aren't showing any signs.

If no signs then donā€™t worry about it. Just watch it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back