Buenos Aires Tetra

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Buenos Aires tetras are renown fin nippers and should not be kept with slow moving fish or fish with long flowing fins. They grow to 3-4 inches long and will need at least a 4 foot tank when mature.

Bigger barbs (nothing smaller than a tiger barb) and some of the bigger tetras can be kept with them. But you really have to watch them because they aren't peaceful fish. In my opinion they shouldn't even be kept in captivity.

I agree with what utahfish and Colin have mentinoed about these species. As a general rule, sedate fish such as gourami, most cichlids, and shoaling fish that are not very active swimmers should never be combined with very active fish, or fish that have a tendency to fin nip.

Concerning the larger tank you are thinking of getting...a good rule I learned early was never acquire any fish for which you do not today (at the time of acquisition) have the necessary tank space to accommodate the fish at maturity, in the proper numbers if shoaling, etc. In other words, wait until you have the larger tank before acquiring any fish that will grow to the size that needs that tank. For various reasons, you may never get the larger tank, and if not, then you have a problem disposing of the fish that is now too large for what you do have. Be kind to your fish.

I agree with what utahfish and Colin have mentinoed about these species. As a general rule, sedate fish such as gourami, most cichlids, and shoaling fish that are not very active swimmers should never be combined with very active fish, or fish that have a tendency to fin nip.

Concerning the larger tank you are thinking of getting...a good rule I learned early was never acquire any fish for which you do not today (at the time of acquisition) have the necessary tank space to accommodate the fish at maturity, in the proper numbers if shoaling, etc. In other words, wait until you have the larger tank before acquiring any fish that will grow to the size that needs that tank. For various reasons, you may never get the larger tank, and if not, then you have a problem disposing of the fish that is now too large for what you do have. Be kind to your fish.
What fish would you suggest putting with BA tetras

What fish would you suggest putting with BA tetras

There are several, but what is the tank size (a present 3-foot was mentioned, and a possible 4-foot), volume and dimensions? We need to keep the size of the BA in mind, and their need for a shoal. I'd also like to know the GH..."soft" water was mentoned but our experience on this forum shows that this can often mean something very different to water authorities so it is worth pinning down the number. A pH of 7 could go either way, but is very workable.

36x18x14 (LxHxW), just realised this is a 40 gallon, (English so donā€™t really use gallons) not sure on the GH but I get my water tested at a shop near me who say the water is soft, didnā€™t really mention anything else apart from the fact the PH is at a 7

36x18x14 (LxHxW), just realised this is a 40 gallon, (English so donā€™t really use gallons) not sure on the GH but I get my water tested at a shop near me who say the water is soft, didnā€™t really mention anything else apart from the fact the PH is at a 7

You should have no problem with the Buenos Aires Tetra. Species is Hyphessobrycon anisitsi. One of the hardiest aquarium fish but it has behaviours that must be considered; it is very boisterous, can be a fin nipper, and will usually eat plants. When kept in small groups (less than 8) it can be very nasty. It prefers the middle reaches in the aquarium. An albino strain has been developed. Males are more colourful, particularly in the unpaired red fins, and females are rounder. A typical egg-scatter that is easily spawned; parents will eat the eggs if not removed immediately after spawning. I would get a few more to have 8 in total. This fish should attain close to 3 inches (8 cm) but can reach 3.5 in (9 cm) and is very active.

Corydoras catfish, a group of 15-20, one species or a combo, but if the latter it is preferable to try and have a few of each species. I tend to aim for five, but often end up with three for whatever reason, but it does seem to be the number in its entirety that does matter most.

This would fill the tank, but you could also consider maybe a common whiptail (one, two or three) of the species Rineloricaria parva which is the common and smaller "whiptail." Upper level fish, close to the surface, is not easy here given the traits of the BA but a group (7-8) of Penguin Tetras (Thayeria boehlkei is the more common species) might be OK. Hatchetfish which I would usually suggest for the surface would almost certainly be nipped to death.

I like this tank size; I have one that I acquired four years ago when I was downsizing (got rid of my large 4 and 5-foot tanks) preparatory to moving, and it is a very serviceable tank. Photo below is what it looks like now (not a very good likeness due to my aging cheap digital camera); my group of 41 cories and a couple of upper pencilfish species that are living out the end of their days before I decide on new uppper level fish.

Attachments

• 40g March 2-2020 (1).JPG
    40g March 2-2020 (1).JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 91
You should have no problem with the Buenos Aires Tetra. Species is Hyphessobrycon anisitsi. One of the hardiest aquarium fish but it has behaviours that must be considered; it is very boisterous, can be a fin nipper, and will usually eat plants. When kept in small groups (less than 8) it can be very nasty. It prefers the middle reaches in the aquarium. An albino strain has been developed. Males are more colourful, particularly in the unpaired red fins, and females are rounder. A typical egg-scatter that is easily spawned; parents will eat the eggs if not removed immediately after spawning. I would get a few more to have 8 in total. This fish should attain close to 3 inches (8 cm) but can reach 3.5 in (9 cm) and is very active.

Corydoras catfish, a group of 15-20, one species or a combo, but if the latter it is preferable to try and have a few of each species. I tend to aim for five, but often end up with three for whatever reason, but it does seem to be the number in its entirety that does matter most.

This would fill the tank, but you could also consider maybe a common whiptail (one, two or three) of the species Rineloricaria parva which is the common and smaller "whiptail." Upper level fish, close to the surface, is not easy here given the traits of the BA but a group (7-8) of Penguin Tetras (Thayeria boehlkei is the more common species) might be OK. Hatchetfish which I would usually suggest for the surface would almost certainly be nipped to death.

I like this tank size; I have one that I acquired four years ago when I was downsizing (got rid of my large 4 and 5-foot tanks) preparatory to moving, and it is a very serviceable tank. Photo below is what it looks like now (not a very good likeness due to my aging cheap digital camera); my group of 41 cories and a couple of upper pencilfish species that are living out the end of their days before I decide on new uppper level fish.
Looks good, have been thinking about getting some virus and havenā€™t seen the whip tail catfish before, Iā€™ll look into them thanks for the help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back