Buckets...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Should I get 2 seperate buckets for adding and removing water or just 1?

1 should be fine, just wash it before putting the clean water in
Should I use vinegar water to wash it? I dont want to risk using soap or bleach since I have a red plastic bucket and it may soak into the plastic...

I’ve just bought 2 “horse” buckets from Amazon, having had the handles/rims of some cheaper ones fail 😞.

They have a measure on the inside (I mix tap and RO water) and I’ve got them in different colours so I can mix my clean water and leave it to stand for a little while and then empty the dirty water…

One should do.
Get construction industry ones though with good solid wire handles not domestic household plastic handled ones.

One should do.
Get construction industry ones though with good solid wire handles not domestic household plastic handled ones.
The handle is a sturdy plastic and ive carried it full before with no problems... When my dad got it from the store the lady put a can of lighter fluid my dad had gotten in there and I cringed... The can was sealed tight and didnt smell at all but still the thought of it is kinda scary...

I'm not sure what you intend using them for, but I second others to get sturdy buckets--and not too large, water is heavy at 10 pounds per gallon. You really can never have enough, I have 7 or 8, they are useful for various aquarium tasks. And obviously only use them for aquarium use, and never use any chemicals (aside from water conditioner) in them.

I'm not sure what you intend using them for, but I second others to get sturdy buckets--and not too large, water is heavy at 10 pounds per gallon. You really can never have enough, I have 7 or 8, they are useful for various aquarium tasks. And obviously only use them for aquarium use, and never use any chemicals (aside from water conditioner) in them.
I just plan on using it for water changes on my 20 gallon aquarium...

You don't need two buckets, just rinse it out with cold water between taking old water out and the new water.

I use 2 buckets, but only because I'm not very tall or strong. I can lift a full 12 litre bucket 2 inches off the floor to carry it outside, but I would not be able to lift it to refill the tank. So I use a second smaller bucket to refill.

Can you really have too many buckets?
Normally, I would use just the one for acclimatising new fish and for cleaning/maintenance purposes, but during my fish-keeping experiencess, I soon learned that a spare is always, always useful in emergencies and even as a quarantine 'tank'.
(I once had a tank spring a leak and I was sooooo glad that I had a couple of spare, clean, 'aquarium-use only' buckets).

For people with small fish tanks I like a couple of buckets. they can fill one with tap water and dechlorinator and let it mix while they use other buckets to drain the tank. Then they can fill the tank with the water that was prepared earlier.

I also like 2 buckets for draining the tank because you sometimes fill one bucket too full and don't always stick your finger over the end of the hose in time. :)

My favourite kit is a 5l jug. It's light to carry and can pour as gently as I like in the fry tank. It means more trips but I find I use it more than my jerry cans.

Home depot bucket just one for me, gave it a good wash out with no soap. No problems what so ever. I just lift it at the edges don't use the built in handle just in case. I use a couple drops of prime to de chlorinate the water I put back in.

Buckets??....you don't need no stinkin' buckets, lol

Seriously though, if you have a tap water faucet within 25' of the tank, with a screw-off aerator, get one of these...makes WC's SO much simpler, IME....I wouldn't do a WC without one...they also sell them with longer hose lengths

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255NXC/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve just bought 2 “horse” buckets from Amazon, having had the handles/rims of some cheaper ones fail 😞.

They have a measure on the inside (I mix tap and RO water) and I’ve got them in different colours so I can mix my clean water and leave it to stand for a little while and then empty the dirty water…
Do you have a link for these? The measure sounds really useful!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back