Bubble Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

coyemuse

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey just wondered, i have a small tank with a bubble filter in it, can I put a betta in it?

By bubble filter, do you mean a sponge filter run with an air pump?
How big is the tank?

Its about a gallon. its a corner tank, this one actually

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-1-Corner-Tank-Aquarium-1gal-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/10312983

Imo it's too small for a Betta, or any fish tbh

Its my roommates tank and shes determined. I agree with you about the size. I bought it as a fry tank, but cant use it cause I cant fit a heater in it. BUT she wants to know if the filter is okay

If it won't fit a heater then she can't keep anything tropical in it & it's way too small for any fish.
If she's determined to have a Betta you can get bigger tanks quite cheaply, 3 gallon I think is a minimum size

IMO the manufacturers of these tanks are shamelessly exploiting the popularity of these fish; selling tanks of a gallon, or even less!?!? as "Betta tanks" makes uninformed consumers think it is ok to keep them in unheated, often unfiltered tanks this size. After all, they are MADE specifically for Bettas, right? Grrrrrrrr.... It's also why many people who buy Bettas think they have a lifespan of a year or so. I worked at a craft store in the same plaza as a Petco, we sold decorative vases with colored marbles as Betta kits- just add the Betta! They'd get the vase from us and go across the plaza and get a Betta...the general consensus was, it's a pretty piece of decor, and Bettas are cheap and not meant to last long anyway...so what if they need replaced every couple of months? I tried telling people no fish is meant to live in a vase, :no: they need a proper tank like any other and they'd just shrug or ask why vases were sold as Betta homes if they were unsuitable? Why indeed!
Living creatures are NOT "decor"! So sad for all these little guys who are seen as throw away pets... :-(
My Bettas have such awesome personalities and I love them! :wub: People keeping sad, depressed, and sickly Bettas in tiny tanks are not getting to see these fish display their true personality...happy, healthy fish, are more interesting fish!

A betta could be kept in that tiny thing but you would be doing constant water changes to keep things healthy. It would be far easier to keep the water good at 3 or more gallons.

Yeah, I agree fizzlesticks...and in the "question" section, someone asks what they can keep in this 1 gallon and someone suggested 5 goldfish! "shudders"... :X

That was my son's first "tank" if you can call it that. It is also one of the reasons that my son's first 2 fish died. That and a general lack of knowledge on my part. The filter that it comes with is a under gravel with no surface area and a pump too weak to move any air. The airstone is a joke and will clog within a few days with that tiny pump pushing it, but your fish will be dead within 3 days without constant water changes anyway. You can get a better 3 gallon round tank for the price of 3 of those or a 5 gallon for a little less. I upgraded to a 10 gallon with a real filter for right at $30 and my son's third betta is loving all the space and has lived 5 times as long as his first 2. I agree with others in that little 1 gallon tank should be called a fish torture chamber or a corner death tank.

A few ghost or cherry shrimp if you're truly desperate, perhaps? I wouldn't want put anything in a 'tank' so small though - it's such a tiny volume. My bettas in 28L setup (7.4 US gallons) and I wouldn't want to go any lower than that for him.

I keep bettas in 1gal tanks with home made sponge filters (air driven) and heaters (small ones-25 watt you can purchase at Walmart or similar store). Make sure you cycle the filter first or do water changes everyday until stats stabilize. My bettas do not die a premature death or suffer in any way. They behave exactly as those that I keep in larger (up to 10+ gal tanks) and are healthy and long-lived.

The "problem" with small tanks and bettas is that often, bettas are the first fish that fishkeepers are introduced to, without knowing about basic care and water chemistry. THAT is why larger tanks (3 gal+) are best for new fishkeepers. It is much more difficult to manage the water chemistry in a smaller volume of water, with all the waterchanges until you understand the tank's chemistry, and things can go downhill fast (and the fish seems like a chore and not something to enjoy and interact with.

For the beginner keeper of bettas I would recommend something larger, but it is not impossible. Please research and understand cycling and get a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Understand how to use them and what the results mean. There are very good resources here on the forum about cycling.

Any questions just ask.
Cheers

Since you cannot fit a heater, there is another solution. At Walmart, buy some black fabric. Something thick that will hold heat pretty good. During the daytime, shine a bright lamp over the tank to heat up the water. At night, put the black cloth over the tank and shine the lamp on. The cloth will hold heat since its black and heat up the water a bit. Also since its black, it should keep some of the light out so it can sleep. You have to experiment, because I'm not sure how much it will heat up the water.

Since you cannot fit a heater, there is another solution. At Walmart, buy some black fabric. Something thick that will hold heat pretty good. During the daytime, shine a bright lamp over the tank to heat up the water. At night, put the black cloth over the tank and shine the lamp on. The cloth will hold heat since its black and heat up the water a bit. Also since its black, it should keep some of the light out so it can sleep. You have to experiment, because I'm not sure how much it will heat up the water.

They do make 25 watt preset heaters at Walmart or similar store. They are small and do a great job keeping the temp stable. Ive never had a problem with any of the dozen or so ive had.
just a suggestion. Better to look into that than use a lamp and risk frying the fish.
cheers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back