Brown stuff in tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stan83

Reaction score
Hello all,
I set up my 29 gallon about a month ago and I got 3 goldfish to prime the tank. Last night out of nowhere, the rocks and jar in my tank suddenly got covered in this brown looking aglee stuff. And there is a good bit of it all over everything.
Im worried about my fish.
I know this is common in a beginning tank but it just seems like a lot more than normal.
What should I do if it doesnt go away?
Also, is the the sign that my tank is now cycled?

thanks a million
steve

Hi Stan,

Just sounds like algae to me. I have got it in my coldwater tank (not in my tropical though, my fish eat it :p ). Is your tank in direct sunlight or do you have the light on a lot? If it's really bad and you don't like it (I don't mind it too much) you can just clean it off, I use an aquarium glass cleaner in mine (a long stick with a pad on the end basically!) but this cannot be used on acrylic. You can also get suff that kills/gets rid of it I think.

Brown algae (bacillariophycae (belongs to crysophyta)). It's normal if you get it to your new tank. Usually it goes away after couple months when biological actions are stable. You can vacuum it away and make partial water change.

Have you checked water values?

ok cool. thanks. Will algee eaters eat it?
Does it mean the tank is cycled??

:dunno: :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back