brown ghost knife fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nick.w

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey, just wanted to know the basic stuff on this fish....how big it gets, minimum tank size, feeding and water requirements and info would b a gr8 help. Thanx

By brown gohst knife do you mean black gohst knife?
albifrons_lowres_noura.jpg

If so here is some information about them.

Tank size: At least 50 u.s. gallons.

Feeding: They will eat just about any normal fish foods. There favorites are blood and tubifex worms.

Size: They can reach a length of 47 cm, but captive ones rarley reach that size.

Water: The heat and chemistry of the water should be the same as any other normal aquarium fish.

Compatibility: Should not be kept with any other kind of knife fish, accept for thier own species. Will not bother even some of the smallest fish, but will eat anything that can fit in its mouth.

Hope this helps. :D

I think nick.w means African Knife fish. Does it look like this?:

African_Knife_Fish.gif

They also need at least 50 U.S. Gallons.

Be careful about adding with small fish, as they can be agressive.

Feeding is similar to the Black Ghost Knife.

lol no, i mean brown knife fish. Its like a black one but brown!! with a white strip down it.

Yeah, there is a Brown Ghost, Rhamphichthys pantherinus, and they supposedly only get to about 10" (and that's big as I've ever had them), but I've heard reports of them getting larger, around two feet, but I'm not sure how reliable that is. They could probably be kept in a 50 gallon for most, if not all of their life.
Oh, and one more thing, Samsung-401, although BGK's grow slowly, but they can get big-- I know of someone that has a 60 cm individual.

yea ive bin researching and that and every where says 10inch, so thats how big i rkeon it gona get. 50 gal is big for a 10inch fish isnt it? i was thinking of putting it in my 39

paul_v_biker said:
No size tank is too big for a fish!!

whats the footprint (dimensions) of your tank?
I agree, and that's why a 55 gallon would be great (bigger is ALWAYS better when it comes to tanks), but I suppose it would be alright in your 39 gallon, but 55 would be more desireable.

lol i see wot u mean just i dnt have a 50 gal thats all, an di like the fish and wuld like to buy the 1 at my lfs

PICK IT UP MAN!!! The lfs around never get them in, so go get before someone else does, it'll be fine in your tank!

lol i may im just thinking of other fish, they quite delicate arnt they? bt i got a sunday job there so i can always order another 1

Na, they aren't too delicate, or, at least, not any more than any of the other "electric" knives, just be care ful with medication, give it a bit under half doses, not because they're "electric", but because they're scaleless, and that's just a rule of thumb for most, if not all, scaleless fishes.

I have a brown knife thats about 9 inches long and he spends most of his time hiding. He is much more delicate then my clown knife or featherfin knife and yes they're all in a 135 gallon tank with 2 oscars and larger various cichlids. It does look like a fragile fish but it can hide in places that you wouldn't believe so be carefull when moving stuff in the tank. It swims and has similar features to the BGK.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back