Brown algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've always had issue with brown algae in my tank but past 2 weeks or so things seemed to have improved.

However today I noticed that the brown algae is coming back. Only difference is that I've possibly fed more than usual. Would this cause the brown algae?

There is also a slightly dusty/milky film on the surface of the water but the water in the tank itself is clear.

It could mean high silicates in your tap water. For that,do not make large water changes and i've read some say phosphate filters help also.
Sometimes the wrong spectrum lighting will cause it also. Cool/day/warm lights of fluorescent and just too many white LED are good for brown algae. Any light that makes colors like red,green,blue, pop?..usually is anathema to brown algae.

Pictures of the algae so we can confirm it's algae and not Cyanobacteria?

Try reducing the amount of light your tank gets. The smooth surface on the top may be an oil slick from lack of water movement. Just my guess I could be wrong.

I used to get a film on the surface of my water in my tank as well - there was no surface agitation. I had issues with brown algae as well, with cyanobacteria later - my light was way too strong for my low tech set up.

I had read that the film might be caused by bacterial blooms, but I think cloudy water is usually present as well for that.

I did have high phosphates in my tank though and my light on for too long. How long are your lights on for?

A90901AD-7D53-4505-80C1-2BF0FC45DD0E.jpeg

image.jpg

Thereā€™s thin milky layer on the surface but Iā€™ve used some kitchen roll to absorb it.
Iā€™ve increased light intensity and duration as Iā€™ve added new plant. Perhaps I need to cut it back down.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back