Brown Algae on my Tank glass

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

styla12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Had a Fluval Rona 240 tank running for about a month now.

Notes today that there's some brown algae growing in my tank glass as well as filter. Is this expected?

How do I get rid of this and is it dangerous?

Appreciate your help guys.

Thanks

A photo would help. But from your info it is probably diatoms, a type of brownish algae that frequently appears in newer tanks because the biological system has not yet stabilized. If it easily comes off surfaces with your fingertip, it is diatoms. If not, it may be another algae.

Algae is not dangerous, it is natural, though we want to keep it in check. Diatoms in new tanks should disappear after several weeks. It is easy to remove from the tank walls with a sponge-type scraper. Some fish will readily eat this, but never acquire fish to solve a problem as it usually creates even more trouble.

Yeah seems it is what you're saying as I used a sponge and managed to wipe it off with a sponge scraper.

Should I remove my ornaments and filter in the tank to give that a wipe too or could that also come off itself after a few weeks?

Thanks so much - you've been super helpful!

Yeah seems it is what you're saying as I used a sponge and managed to wipe it off with a sponge scraper.

Should I remove my ornaments and filter in the tank to give that a wipe too or could that also come off itself after a few weeks?

Thanks so much - you've been super helpful!

The next time you clean the filter you can get the diatoms off. Generally an internal filter should be cleaned at every weekly water change. And clean off the decor then too.

The next time you clean the filter you can get the diatoms off. Generally an internal filter should be cleaned at every weekly water change. And clean off the decor then too.
I have an Fluval 307 canister filter. Do I have to pull out the intake and outake bits inside and clean these?

Also, how often should I be cleaning the filter media in the external canister?

Sorry for so many questions.

I have an Fluval 307 canister filter. Do I have to pull out the intake and outake bits inside and clean these?

Also, how often should I be cleaning the filter media in the external canister?

Sorry for so many questions.

Questions are never a problem. We've all asked them or none of us would know anything about the hobby.

External canister filters are cleaned regularly but the time between cleanings can vary according to the system. I have cleaned mine every two months, every three months, every six months, according to the tank they were on. I now have smaller tanks since my move last year and all have internal filters (most are dual sponge) so they are rinsed every water change.

As for the canister, the more crud you find in it, the more often you should cean it. The brown gunk is organic matter and this will clog the flow, and can raise nitrates, and beyond. I had a problem with organics in my 90g tank for three years and never could get to the cause but monthly cleaning of the canister did help. And each cleaning sould include the filter tubes and all media.

Ah right makes sense.

So I know how to clean my external filter but am unsure on how to clean the filter tubes.

I own the Fluval Roma 240 and that has an undertank connection within the tank so I couldn't possibly take the pipes off like the ones in photo.

If I was to take it off the water would come out the tank from the bottom. The only parts I could clean are the inlet strainer bit and the outlet bits but not the tubes. Do you think that would be sufficient.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200318-214631.jpg
    Screenshot_20200318-214631.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 64
Ah right makes sense.

So I know how to clean my external filter but am unsure on how to clean the filter tubes.

I own the Fluval Roma 240 and that has an undertank connection within the tank so I couldn't possibly take the pipes off like the ones in photo.

If I was to take it off the water would come out the tank from the bottom. The only parts I could clean are the inlet strainer bit and the outlet bits but not the tubes. Do you think that would be sufficient.

Thanks again

I don't want to mislead, and I have no experience with the filter in question, so I will leave it for those who do to answer.

Ah right makes sense.

Thanks again
If the tubes go straight up and down with no excess once a year is probably enough. I used to do mine several times a year because I tend to do 75% water changes so just made sure my water level was below the tank outlet.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back