The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jue

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:D

Hi

I've just got home from work to find loads of eggs in my community tank. I'm pretty certain they are from one of my new bronze cory's.

I've managed to scoop some of the eggs off the tank walls as the Gourami was paying them a lot of attention and put them into a very fine mesh breeding net. Is there anything else I should have done or should be doing?

Also, does anyone know how long they take to hatch!! Am sooooooooo excited :hyper:

Thanks x

Firstly, congratulations. The eggs should hatch in 12 hours. Feed them baby brine shrimp and when they get bigger upgrade their food to shrimp pellets.

Firstly, congratulations. The eggs should hatch in 12 hours. Feed them baby brine shrimp and when they get bigger upgrade their food to shrimp pellets.
Thanks very much :D have to say that we are very excited because they will be our first babies. I'll go and get some baby brine shrimp tomorrow for them.

Can't wait now. The cory's look like they are mating again or at least performing some very strange ritual so pershaps there will be some more before much longer.

Actually, bronze cory eggs take about 3-4 days, depending on the temp of your tank to hatch. When they start to hatch, it takes about 24 hours for them all to hatch as well. Have you another tank, or only the one. Keeping the fry in a breeding net is ok for the first couple of weeks, but they do need more space once swimming. If you have a power filter, you can attach a air tube to the filter and peg it to the breeding net. It causes enought current to keep the eggs fresh. Or an airstone.

We have fed our bronze fry microworms from 3-4 days old, after hatching and absorbing their yolk sacs. We moved them onto carnivore catfish pellets at about 3-4 weeks as well as their live food, which could be microworms or brine shrimp. We don't use brine shrimp as the unhatched cycts cause intestinal blockages and leads to a lot of cory fry deaths!! :crazy:

Our bronze corys used to spawn every 8-10 days during their spawning season, which could last up to 3-4 months. By the end, we were getting over 200 eggs per spawn!!! :hey:

Congrasts and Good luck and keep us posted on what happens. :D :D

Actually, bronze cory eggs take about 3-4 days, depending on the temp of your tank to hatch. When they start to hatch, it takes about 24 hours for them all to hatch as well. Have you another tank, or only the one. Keeping the fry in a breeding net is ok for the first couple of weeks, but they do need more space once swimming. If you have a power filter, you can attach a air tube to the filter and peg it to the breeding net. It causes enought current to keep the eggs fresh. Or an airstone.

We have fed our bronze fry microworms from 3-4 days old, after hatching and absorbing their yolk sacs. We moved them onto carnivore catfish pellets at about 3-4 weeks as well as their live food, which could be microworms or brine shrimp. We don't use brine shrimp as the unhatched cycts cause intestinal blockages and leads to a lot of cory fry deaths!! :crazy:

Our bronze corys used to spawn every 8-10 days during their spawning season, which could last up to 3-4 months. By the end, we were getting over 200 eggs per spawn!!! :hey:

Congrasts and Good luck and keep us posted on what happens. :D :D

Hi Alex & Carmen

Thanks for your advice. Do you know what the optimum temperature for them to hatch in is? Mine is currently at 27 degrees. As you can see from my signature I have quite a few inhabitants in the 180L tank with the eggs - hence the breeding net as the Gourami had already eaten quite a few when we got home. You can see loads of white dots on the glass where the eggs had been :huh:

I've got another 40L tank with a Honey Gourami (poorly) at the moment. I don't think that I am going to be able to reintroduce him to the main tank as the other is very aggressive towards it and he ends up chasing him onto the filter all the time. The trouble is I don't know if the fry will be safe in the 40L with him. Is it possible to get tank dividers that can separate the fry from other fish?

The breeding net is currently about 8 inches away from the filter outlet, so do you think that I need to still get more current going through it?

My son is so excited - he can't take his eyes off the tank and I'm sure he will be sneaking down in the night to check on them :D I just hope that at least one of them hatches for him.

Thanks again
Jue

Hi Jue

The outlet will give enough flow for the time being, but if the net grows a lot of algae in a few days, you may need to increase flow with a small airline stuffed into the outlet pegged onto the breeding net, you'll be surprised how well it works. We feel the algae attracts a lot of infursia on the net, because although we feed mainly microworms, you can see their poo is green, so they must be eating it :crazy:

How many eggs are in the net? As for putting them with the Gourami, he will eat every single one. If you don't have too many in the net, they could stay there till they are big enough for the tank, max about 20 per net. Corys, in particular, cory fry don't do well with meds, so don't put them in a tank with fish which you are treating.

If your eggs are fertile, you will be able to see tiny black dots in a few days, those are the eyes of the fry. As long as they look an amber colour, they are fertile, but white and fuzzy are infertile and should be removed. Don't remove them yet, if they are white. Like I said, a few days till you can see the fry inside. But if they are already fuzzy, remove the affected eggs.

Once you start to feed them, you'll have to feed them about 3 times a day. Only a very small amount of live food, and if you're feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp, let them eat for a few minutes and remove the rest, so as not to pollute their enviroment.

Good luck. I know what you mean about kids being excited about fry. We have 3 and they were lucky enough to actually witness our bronze fry hatching from eggs. We had some in a tank on the glass (there was nothing else in the tank) and they loved it. They sat for ages watching the fry dart around. Shame.

Keep well and keep us updated, speak soon, Carmen

Hi Jue

The outlet will give enough flow for the time being, but if the net grows a lot of algae in a few days, you may need to increase flow with a small airline stuffed into the outlet pegged onto the breeding net, you'll be surprised how well it works. We feel the algae attracts a lot of infursia on the net, because although we feed mainly microworms, you can see their poo is green, so they must be eating it :crazy:

How many eggs are in the net? As for putting them with the Gourami, he will eat every single one. If you don't have too many in the net, they could stay there till they are big enough for the tank, max about 20 per net. Corys, in particular, cory fry don't do well with meds, so don't put them in a tank with fish which you are treating.

If your eggs are fertile, you will be able to see tiny black dots in a few days, those are the eyes of the fry. As long as they look an amber colour, they are fertile, but white and fuzzy are infertile and should be removed. Don't remove them yet, if they are white. Like I said, a few days till you can see the fry inside. But if they are already fuzzy, remove the affected eggs.

Once you start to feed them, you'll have to feed them about 3 times a day. Only a very small amount of live food, and if you're feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp, let them eat for a few minutes and remove the rest, so as not to pollute their enviroment.

Good luck. I know what you mean about kids being excited about fry. We have 3 and they were lucky enough to actually witness our bronze fry hatching from eggs. We had some in a tank on the glass (there was nothing else in the tank) and they loved it. They sat for ages watching the fry dart around. Shame.

Keep well and keep us updated, speak soon, Carmen

Thanks Carmen. I'll let you know how they get on. The eggs mainly look a clear white (if that makes sense) but we can see tiny black dots inside some of them. We've got a blue tube inside the tank which doesn't help as it makes everything that is remotely white look brilliant white. We have managed to get probably about 10-15 eggs off the glass and into the net - crikey they were sticky - so we are just keeping everything crossed!

Jue :D

Edited to say: that one of the cory's is hovering with its lower back fins just off the ground and it's front side fins quivering. Is this a sign that it is laying more eggs? The others are just lying down as normal.

Is they cory quivering in front of another cory?? Is it fatter than the others? Also, if it's female, and they've spawned, she'll have eggs in her clasped pelvic fins.

Is they cory quivering in front of another cory?? Is it fatter than the others? Also, if it's female, and they've spawned, she'll have eggs in her clasped pelvic fins.
Hi

It is fatter than one of the others. We've got 6 (only got the 3 big ones on Sunday - they were rescued from our local hospital). They are at least twice the size of the original 3 and 2 of them look to have darker stripes along their backs. One of these is doing the hovering. S(he) isn't in front of another cory at the moment, although earlier 2 of them were darting about all over the place and wouldn't leave each other alone.

I can't see any eggs in her pelvic fins as yet, but it could be that she hasn't spawned yet and it was one of the others that had produced all the eggs earlier in the day.

Jue

As I'm sure, you will soon see for yourself, when they corys spawn, normally you'll have two males chasing one female (depending on how many of each you have). The females are larger (if they are all adults). Their bodies are wider and they are a bit longer. Once a male has her in a spot where she is willing, he'll T in front of her. She seems to ingest his good and go off somewhere and tilt to her side, ejecting eggs into her pelvic fins. She then seems to pant heavily, passing his good from her gils towards the eggs, fertilizing them. Then to a clean spot she's chosen while they were chasing each, and deposit they very sticky eggs, as you've found.

Now, corys are also egg eaters. So after a while, the parents could also start eating the eggs while spawning. We normally remove eggs when we see them spawn.

It's been nearly 4 months since our bronzes spawned, but we have our pandas spawning every second night at the moment. Luckily they don't lay as many eggs as the bronze, or I'd have no where to put all the fry.

Good luck and keep well, Carmen :D

As I'm sure, you will soon see for yourself, when they corys spawn, normally you'll have two males chasing one female (depending on how many of each you have). The females are larger (if they are all adults). Their bodies are wider and they are a bit longer. Once a male has her in a spot where she is willing, he'll T in front of her. She seems to ingest his good and go off somewhere and tilt to her side, ejecting eggs into her pelvic fins. She then seems to pant heavily, passing his good from her gils towards the eggs, fertilizing them. Then to a clean spot she's chosen while they were chasing each, and deposit they very sticky eggs, as you've found.

Now, corys are also egg eaters. So after a while, the parents could also start eating the eggs while spawning. We normally remove eggs when we see them spawn.

It's been nearly 4 months since our bronzes spawned, but we have our pandas spawning every second night at the moment. Luckily they don't lay as many eggs as the bronze, or I'd have no where to put all the fry.

Good luck and keep well, Carmen :D
Thanks Carmen. I'll keep an eye out and let you know how we get on. It's not just Ashley that will be getting up in the night to check on them :lol:

Take care
Jue

Morning :D):

We both slept ok - thanks. Ashley was down there at the crack of dawn to check on them but no sign of any more eggs as yet and I'm at work now til half 5. I might pop home at lunchtime to have another look if I get chance. Their behaviour was definitely strange last night so I won't be surprised to see some more very soon. Just keeping everything crossed that the eggs I managed to get in the net are fertile even if we only have a couple that hatch :D):

Jue x

Hi Jue

Has anything happened with the eggs?? Hope all went well.

Keep well, Carmen :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back