Bronze cories spawned!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
A few of you know that I've been getting broody for cory babies since mine spawned in October and the babies are all grown up, so I've been dying to get some more wrigglers. But just saw cory eggs on the 57 gallon tank! First time these guys have spawned, and completely unexpected! There was a tank crash in there recently, all the water changes must have done it! Now I'm panicking and forgetting what I need to do... thankful that I have MB on hand this time!

Now to try and find a spare airpump...

Have collected tons of eggs and put them in a plastic tub floating in the parent tank, right now trying to engineer a way to attach a larger tuperware to the tank rim, to transfer the eggs to. Can't just clip it to the side with clothes pegs the way I did before on my tank, since this one has a really tall trim attached. Right now making holes and experimenting with ways to hold the tub steady with garden twine taped to the outside of the glass in a way that the tub isn't easily tipped into the tank or flooded out by tank water.

@Deanasue my other cories have spawned now! I'm so happy, you know I was getting broody for more babies! :D

Hoping to pick your brain about moving them.. right now the eggs, laid a few hours ago, are sitting in a plastic food container fixed to the inside of the parent tank, with some alder cones and methylene blue. In an ideal world, I'd like to move the eggs and their container to a different tank for wriggler nurturing/baby raisin'... Would you reckon it's safe to move the container to the other tank, letting the water gradually cool and temp acclimate to the other tank, going from 79 degrees F to 76 degrees F? And gradually water changing over the next few days to that tank water? The source water is the same, so other than a temp difference and perhaps a slight variation in nitrate levels, all other parameters should be the same.

@Deanasue my other cories have spawned now! I'm so happy, you know I was getting broody for more babies! :D

Hoping to pick your brain about moving them.. right now the eggs, laid a few hours ago, are sitting in a plastic food container fixed to the inside of the parent tank, with some alder cones and methylene blue. In an ideal world, I'd like to move the eggs and their container to a different tank for wriggler nurturing/baby raisin'... Would you reckon it's safe to move the container to the other tank, letting the water gradually cool and temp acclimate to the other tank, going from 79 degrees F to 76 degrees F? And gradually water changing over the next few days to that tank water? The source water is the same, so other than a temp difference and perhaps a slight variation in nitrate levels, all other parameters should be the same.
I think before they hatch that will be fine! I found that using magnet and piece of metal keeps a nursery bowl in place in container. I used my magnetic algae scraper. Congrats on the eggs! :)

I think before they hatch that will be fine! I found that using magnet and piece of metal keeps a nursery bowl in place in container. I used my magnetic algae scraper. Congrats on the eggs! :)
Awesome, thank you! I've already employed my magnetic glass cleaner to hold the tub in place :lol:
I just watched this youtube video about raising cory fry, and he was using a Kritter Keeper container for the fry. Have just ordered one! I want to be able to see them from the sides, since I could only view them from above last time for ages, and can't resist getting something that will let me see them developing while they're still tiny :D

I've moved the container for the eggs to the 12 gallon grow out. It's just easier to regularly inspect them when they're in that room, since it's a whole process of putting the tub on top of something white so I can see them better, need to swipe a strong light bar from a different tank, use a magnifying glass, a turkey baster and a syringe... just... it's a complicated thing! :lol:

Have removed a few fungused ones, and a couple that I'm certain are infertile. A few that I was unsure whether they were fungused, I moved to a different tupperware. They stand a chance then, if I'm wrong about them.
I think a lot of this clutch might be infertile, but it's really hard to tell with the MB, even with diluting that a lot to check them. It's only been a little over 24 hours since they were laid though, and there are also a lot that I think look viable :D I'm so excited! The aeneus eggs hatched after three days last time, so we'll know soon enough! Also made a mess with the methylene blue, my hands are stained blue now :lol:

@Deanasue I know this was discussed last time in the now stickied thread, but you've had more personal experience with raising them since then! Do you dilute out the MB before they begin hatching? Once they've all hatched? I know there are differing opinions out there about that, just would like to know how it works for you :) Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions!

I miss @CassCats !! :-(

I've moved the container for the eggs to the 12 gallon grow out. It's just easier to regularly inspect them when they're in that room, since it's a whole process of putting the tub on top of something white so I can see them better, need to swipe a strong light bar from a different tank, use a magnifying glass, a turkey baster and a syringe... just... it's a complicated thing! :lol:

Have removed a few fungused ones, and a couple that I'm certain are infertile. A few that I was unsure whether they were fungused, I moved to a different tupperware. They stand a chance then, if I'm wrong about them.
I think a lot of this clutch might be infertile, but it's really hard to tell with the MB, even with diluting that a lot to check them. It's only been a little over 24 hours since they were laid though, and there are also a lot that I think look viable :D I'm so excited! The aeneus eggs hatched after three days last time, so we'll know soon enough! Also made a mess with the methylene blue, my hands are stained blue now :lol:

@Deanasue I know this was discussed last time in the now stickied thread, but you've had more personal experience with raising them since then! Do you dilute out the MB before they begin hatching? Once they've all hatched? I know there are differing opinions out there about that, just would like to know how it works for you :) Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions!

I miss @CassCats !! :-(
I miss her too :(. Wait until the eggs hatch and then just dilute with daily water changes. Mine stays blue tinted for about a week but fry are fine. We’re in this together and with each new batch we get a little smarter. :)

You may see a few wigglers tomorrow afternoon or evening. Mine start by 3rd day at least. This time I had a couple of wrigglers when I went to bed and next morning they were everywhere! I was a little bummed that I missed most of the hatching but they obviously didn’t need my help. Lol!

Note: I have started feeding just a teeny bit of First Bites late on 2nd day because some egg sacs don’t last 3-4 days..

I miss her too :(. Wait until the eggs hatch and then just dilute with daily water changes. Mine stays blue tinted for about a week but fry are fine. We’re in this together and with each new batch we get a little smarter. :)
Thank you so much! Yep, it's good to be in this together!

Fingers crossed I do get some wrigglers :D I'm expecting them to hatch on day three -going into day four, since that was the time frame for this same species last time, and the same for you and casscats. Since these were laid sometime between 5-9pm on the 15th, will dilute the water and do a small W/C on that container before five on the 18th, and start watching them like a hawk at 5pm, lol! :lol:

I'll start with the First Bites on day two of hatching then, thank you for the tip! I'd rather feed early and have to clean the tub, than feed late and lose babies... :-(

I'll try to take any losses on the chin more than last time, since cass says it's normal, and I was devastated with each one before. If I can improve my rate and have more survivors than I did last time, I'll be happy to see an improvement! Although I still think getting seven young cories from my first ever egg layer spawn, when I was completely unprepared and didn't have the things I needed then; like MB, alder cones, or a spare airpump even! Until after the eggs had hatched. Still, not bad for a beginner who really hasn't been in the hobby that long :D

Thank you so much! Yep, it's good to be in this together!

Fingers crossed I do get some wrigglers :D I'm expecting them to hatch on day three -going into day four, since that was the time frame for this same species last time, and the same for you and casscats. Since these were laid sometime between 5-9pm on the 15th, will dilute the water and do a small W/C on that container before five on the 18th, and start watching them like a hawk at 5pm, lol! :lol:

I'll start with the First Bites on day two of hatching then, thank you for the tip! I'd rather feed early and have to clean the tub, than feed late and lose babies... :-(

I'll try to take any losses on the chin more than last time, since cass says it's normal, and I was devastated with each one before. If I can improve my rate and have more survivors than I did last time, I'll be happy to see an improvement! Although I still think getting seven young cories from my first ever egg layer spawn, when I was completely unprepared and didn't have the things I needed then; like MB, alder cones, or a spare airpump even! Until after the eggs had hatched. Still, not bad for a beginner who really hasn't been in the hobby that long :D
You did a great job last time and you will again. My batch before the one now was a disaster. Had about 50 fry and all but one, “Solo”, died the first week. I think a bacterial infection did them in. It happened all too fast. I broke down the tank and disinfected it. This time, I have a huge group with only a few losses. I believe each hatching is different. We lose some and we win some. Everyone does. Each time we learn a little more. You know what you are doing. You have everything ready. Don’t get stressed over this. No matter the outcome, you have the experience needed. Now you have to let Mother Nature do her part. Enjoy this! Here to help where I can. :)??

You did a great job last time and you will again. My batch before the one now was a disaster. Had about 50 fry and all but one, “Solo”, died the first week. I think a bacterial infection did them in. It happened all too fast. I broke down the tank and disinfected it. This time, I have a huge group with only a few losses. I believe each hatching is different. We lose some and we win some. Everyone does. Each time we learn a little more. You know what you are doing. You have everything ready. Don’t get stressed over this. No matter the outcome, you have the experience needed. Now you have to let Mother Nature do her part. Enjoy this! Here to help where I can. :)??
This is really sweet, and made me feel heaps better! Thank you :wub:

It's pretty difficult to sort out which eggs might be fungused when they're in MB, even once I dilute it out as much as I can. There seems to be a lot of schmutz in my water right now too, so it can be hard to tell whether they're fungused, or covered in detritus... but I've only seen a few more today that I know for sure are no good, and a couple that are questionable, so have been moved to the "maybe" container.

I think tomorrow night when *touch wood* I hopefully have wrigglers, is when I'll be able to tell whether they're viable. I might have a lot that are viable - please cross all fingers and toes for me that they are! - or I have a lot of eggs that aren't, but look as though they are because they've been dyed by the MB.

New starter cultures for microworms and banana worms arrived today, so will be starting those cultures tonight, and they take about 24-48 hrs to start producing spare worms I can feed. Plenty of time for them to be ready for newly hatched cory wrigglers... man, I'm so nervous! Really hope I get a good amount of healthy babies this time. I got banana worms because they're half the size of microworms. Microworms are already tiny, and some people recommend them for freshly hatched cory fry, but I lost a lot of wrigglers last time. Out of 18 wrigglers, only eight made it to three months old, and I lost another one at three months old, leaving me with seven juveniles. First Bites hasn't arrived yet, Kritter Keeper is due to arrive Friday. Perhaps with even smaller worms that tiny fish can eat, First Bites, and any infusoria on the moss I plan to add, plus feeding a little earlier in case they've used up their egg yolk early, I'll have more survivors.

Wish me luck! I've tried not to get my hopes too high, knowing how nature works, and not all spawns are good, and mortality rates high in the early weeks when wrigglers.. but my hopes are high anyway, and I'm really invested in these little guys.

It's pretty difficult to sort out which eggs might be fungused when they're in MB, even once I dilute it out as much as I can. There seems to be a lot of schmutz in my water right now too, so it can be hard to tell whether they're fungused, or covered in detritus... but I've only seen a few more today that I know for sure are no good, and a couple that are questionable, so have been moved to the "maybe" container.

I think tomorrow night when *touch wood* I hopefully have wrigglers, is when I'll be able to tell whether they're viable. I might have a lot that are viable - please cross all fingers and toes for me that they are! - or I have a lot of eggs that aren't, but look as though they are because they've been dyed by the MB.

New starter cultures for microworms and banana worms arrived today, so will be starting those cultures tonight, and they take about 24-48 hrs to start producing spare worms I can feed. Plenty of time for them to be ready for newly hatched cory wrigglers... man, I'm so nervous! Really hope I get a good amount of healthy babies this time. I got banana worms because they're half the size of microworms. Microworms are already tiny, and some people recommend them for freshly hatched cory fry, but I lost a lot of wrigglers last time. Out of 18 wrigglers, only eight made it to three months old, and I lost another one at three months old, leaving me with seven juveniles. First Bites hasn't arrived yet, Kritter Keeper is due to arrive Friday. Perhaps with even smaller worms that tiny fish can eat, First Bites, and any infusoria on the moss I plan to add, plus feeding a little earlier in case they've used up their egg yolk early, I'll have more survivors.

Wish me luck! I've tried not to get my hopes too high, knowing how nature works, and not all spawns are good, and mortality rates high in the early weeks when wrigglers.. but my hopes are high anyway, and I'm really invested in these little guys.
Calm down and enjoy the fun. You’ll do great. Put a oak or almond leaf in the bowl so industrial can grow on it and also fight bacteria. :). Here’s a baby shower for you.?☂️

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back