Broken Filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DJ Fresh

Reaction score
I'm not sure if my filter is working properly, there doesn't seem to be a current and there is a film on the surface of the water. Can anyone give me some insight? I'm not sure if it's just a slow moving filter or if it's totally broken.

We need to know what filter you have, and tank size, and fish stock. It sounds like either your surface movement is too low or you are underfiltered if there is something noticeable on the filter that seems off it would also be important :D

Film in the surface and no current in your filter or in your tank?

Thanks for replying! I've got a 10 gallon tank, external filter, sits on the back side. Sorta does a waterfall... or looks like it should do a waterfall and it has a tube thingy that seems to be sucking things up.

I've got 2 tetras and 2 danios.

Oops! I think I had my filter in backwards. Things seem to be flowing again. Just one question though, is that film on the surface bad? what is it? bacteria? ammonia?

Edit- Hows your filter get backwards
Could have jsut been reprimeing and trying to fill with watter

The film is protien and should be removed because it reduces contact with air and therefore oxyegen difusion so, Best thing to do if in your tank is to add a airpump aand bubble, another filter, or a powerhead

Oh, backwards? Well there's a word on one side that says "back"... which probably meant that I had the filter cartridge in with the "back" at the front. Just one of those "newbie" mistakes I guess. Love the fish though! can't wait to add more when my tank is ready for it.

Okay enjoy your new fish tank, sounds like your off to a good start I've never had any of those filters that need cartridges

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back