Bristlenose

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sibelius

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that there's a difference between a Bristlenose "catfish" and a Bristlenose "plec." If there is, and I'm right in thinking that the smaller species is the Bristlenose "catfish" (ancistrus sp.) Would you consider a 24X12X15 (length X width X hight) too small to keep 1? Also, is 1 ok or should there be a group? My tank is heavily planted with some wood and will also include a small shoal of danios.

Bristlenose Plec and catfish are one and the same and both are classed as ancistrus sp.
One would be fine in that size tank and they don't need to be kept in groups.

Thanks for your response. I'll probably go for just the 1 then, perhaps with dwarf chain loaches and 6 or 7 Danios (Choprae). Is there anything else I'd need to know about bristlenoses? Do they disturb plants much, or would they give the loaches any trouble?

no to both those questions, i breed them in plant aquariums and they eat the algae off the plants but dont touch the actual plant and they dont bother any fish that i know off. Pretty much keep to themselves, di

Definitely want pics!
As Fishyfeet said, they don't tend to bother fish too much unless something strays into their territory, Even then, they only tend to nudge the fish out of the way.
They do like to have bogwood in the tank to rasp on although people have kept them without it with no problems.
Feed them on algae wafers, cucumber, courgette, par-boiled potatoes etc. They can have bloodworm for a treat but only feeed them it once a week/fortnight.
Mine tend to like TetraPrima but again, I only feed them it once a week as it's quite high in protein. ;)

Ok, thanks. My main concern was that they might be too large, but I'm glad that that's not the case. Naturally, I would never keep a fish that could outgrow my tank. I'll use the diet you suggested, a mix of algae wafers with occasional bloodworm, and flake for the other fish. Do you suggest introducing them to the tank before the other fish, so that they can assume a "favourite spot", or leave them until last? (Or am I being needlessly pedantic?!)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back