Bristlenose with sailfin?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I have a large-ish sailfin pleco he’s around 11inches and was looking into getting a few Bristlenose pleco , 2cm in length babies , I hear Plecos can be very aggressive towards other pleco , but being a differnt pleco would that matter ? Or would the bn be doomed

What size tank?

A sailfin needs a 120g or larger alone due to size and bioload.

What size tank?

A sailfin needs a 120g or larger alone due to size and bioload.
My tank is 500l and 5ft long , not worried about space just worried that my sailfin is so much larger

Alright good, just checking lol some people ask about this and have a sailfin or common in a 20 gallon lol

I think its doable, provided they can be fed on separate ends of the tank, and so long as you got a back up plan should for some reason it doesn't work out.

Given the size difference there may be no reason for the sailfin to see a 4 inch BN pleco as a threat, but you never know. At the same time, a 5 foot tank gives space for territory for both to keep away as they want too.

Alright good, just checking lol some people ask about this and have a sailfin or common in a 20 gallon lol

I think its doable, provided they can be fed on separate ends of the tank, and so long as you got a back up plan should for some reason it doesn't work out.

Given the size difference there may be no reason for the sailfin to see a 4 inch BN pleco as a threat, but you never know. At the same time, a 5 foot tank gives space for territory for both to keep away as they want too.
Yeah I get that only reason I have the sailfin is because I rehomed him from someone who was keeping it in a 2.5 ft tank I suspect it’s slightly stunted as it’s only grown an inch in the past year but I have no idea of the age of the fish and hear they do grow slow , I think I might get away with it as my tank is set for cichlids really so there are lots of hiding spaces for them but I don’t have a back up plan I only have the one tank atm don’t even have a hospital tank that I could use if things go wrong but the only time iv saw the pleco be aggressive was when I had an Oscar he hated him used to try and bash it up the glass and I mean with force I used to worry about the glass braking as the fish is like a concrete block lol I do worry about the feeding as he can be fairly forceful I wouldn’t say aggressive but it seems that way because of his size but with my acara and Colombian tetra not much food reaches the bottom so I understand his protection over food , it’s one of them if it don’t work I’m going to have dead bn

Then if he's abnormally aggressive to non pleco fish, I wouldn't chance him in this case
I was thinking that , but he shares a cave with one of my acara lol but I can’t be dealing with the hassle iv got a good balance in my tank at the moment and would say I’m 90% stocked was just looking to fill that last bit up , might hang on for some corys as iv got to swap my gravel to sand soon anyway for my geophagus, thanks for advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back