Bristlenose Plecs Breeding Non-Stop - Worried About The Male?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Abyss

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have common Bristlenose Plecs in my Malawi tank.

I noticed the male was 'missing' and saw him in a small hollow skull ornament I've hidden in my many rocks. Thinking he was stuck, I removed the ornament to find a load of BN eggs.

I left them in the tank as I had nowhere to put the eggs or fry.

Around 10-12 days later he finally emerged from the Skull, and was seemingly back to normal for 2-3 days. I checked the skull and it was empty of eggs (and fry) presumable hatched and eaten by the other fish.

After that, he disappeared again...so I checked the skull...fresh eggs!!!

Then, the whole thing happened again for a 3rd time.

As far as I know, I haven't seen him out of the skull and he hasn't eaten. I can see him through the eyes of the skull 'fanning' water over the eggs.

Will he be ok? Is this common with BN plecs?

WoV8eW6.jpg

Plecs breed like crazy if given right conditions. he will be fine :D

Bn do not really belong in a malawi tank, but that is a different issue.

What is going on is simple. The fry do not last long in the tank due to their being lunch for your other fish. The bn want to see their offspring survive and grow. Because the other fish are a threat to eat the fry, the dad will try to keep them in the cave longer hoping they gain more size and have a better chance to make it. When they do not, the fish try again.

Most dads will try to sneak out after dark and grab something to eat if the can. One downside of this is that in tanks with multiple femalse, the non-alpha females may try to use this temporary lull in the dad's watchfulness to dart into the cave and eat eggs or wigglers. She does this in order to gain a shot at spawning with the male who will refuse her advances as long as he is on a spawn.

If you are truly worried the dad is not eating enough, try dropping an algae wafer near the spawning site after dark.

He's out now since last week and seems completely fine. Not skinny or anything. 'Visibly' eating well

For reference, I have a single pair. 1x Male, 1x Female.

They were bred in a Malawi tank and do absolutely great in there, as most people will confirm who have similar setups.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back