Bristlenose pleco tank size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EmJay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What size tank does a Bristlenose pleco need please?
I have a 180L community tank and would like to get them but was unsure how many I would be able to get.

Last edited:
You could easily keep 1 BNP in that tank.

Your tank size could definitely support a bristlenose pleco. However, how many fish/what species are stocked currently? If you've already got a full tank then you might not want to add another. Furthermore, plecos produce a lot of waste for a fish their size.

*This being said, I love bristlenose plecos and keep them in one of my community tanks.

Last edited:
You could possibly keep 1 BNP in that tank, depending on what current stock you have. I wouldn’t add more than 1 though.

Your tank size could definitely support a bristlenose pleco. However, how many fish/what species are stocked currently? If you've already got a full tank then you might not want to add another. Furthermore, plecos produce a lot of waste for a fish their size.
It's 180L and all that's in there is.....
Sunset platy x 5
Cardinal tetra x 6
Ember tetra x 6
Guppies x 5
Some red cherry shrimp
Atya gabonensis x 1

It's 180L and all that's in there is.....
Sunset platy x 5
Cardinal tetra x 6
Ember tetra x 6
Guppies x 5
Some red cherry shrimp
Atya gabonensis x 1
Yes, you could add 1 with that current stock.

Yes, you could add 1 with that current stock.

Thanks.
I was only planning on getting 1 but then someone offered me a breeding pair, saying that a pair only need 80 Litres + and I assumed they would need bigger than that so just though I'd check with you all.
Thanks guys I'll stick to just getting 1 then.

Definitely post photos once you get him/her! :good: :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back