FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MylesVinno

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Recently my bristlenose plecos started breeding (one male and three females). So far two times I have seen the male sitting against and fanning the eggs - around 15 or so. Each day the eggs become smaller in number and after 3-5 days they are gone without a trace. I have one bristlenose fry from these two breeding occasions but am perplexed as to how the eggs keep on disappearing.

Fish in the tank:
6x Neon Tetras
3x Rummynose Tetras
3x Pristella Tetras
3x Bristlenose pleco females (all about 6cm each)
1x Bristlenose pleco male

Any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

Pretty much any and every fish will go after vulnerable eggs/fry. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it is the female BN that may be eating the eggs. Or perhaps the male just needs more practice. Another possibility is one of the females might actually be a rival male that decided to take out the young of the dominant male.

Pretty much any and every fish will go after vulnerable eggs/fry. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it is the female BN that may be eating the eggs. Or perhaps the male just needs more practice. Another possibility is one of the females might actually be a rival male that decided to take out the young of the dominant male.
Ah yes that seems likely, would it be sensible to separate the eggs into a separate tank upon laying?

would it be sensible to separate the eggs into a separate tank upon laying?
You would need to move the male as well.

Once you have the male in his own little cave with the eggs you should be able to move the cave ,with him in it, into a different tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back