Bristlenose gorging herself until collapsed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

terrypin

Reaction score
Hi cant post vid but to describe she falls off the courgette when feeding and lays on her back shaking for a minute or so then recovers and continues feeding is this normal behaviour

I believe that this isn't a normal behaviour.
You can post the video to youtube and then you can copy and paste the link here. It would help very much, but for now I'll ask you basics of keeping fish.
What are your water parameters? Is the tank cycled? What size is the tank?
What other fish do you have in the tank? Are you sure it's a 'she' or a 'he'?

Last edited:
water parameters are good it is a heavily planted tank and I have had it running since last August. She is a female the Male is fanning clutch number 5 at this time. they are the only adult Pleco in the tank. She only does this when gorging herself on courgette.

Yes she is a heavily planted tank which contains 3 different areas with wood she spends time on the wood, the tank walls or cleaning plant leaves aside from feeding courgette she has algae wafers and pellets. I have given them carrots but although they will eat some they much prefer the courgettes. there are several of her young in the tank and they also eat the courgette I have not noticed them exhibiting this strange behaviour though. The male eats courgette when he is not fanning eggs but does not fall off his food like he is having a seizure. When she recovers she gets straight back on the courgette.

Did she do that when you got her? I think there is nothing to do, it mogh be just natural.

She has done it since I have been feeding courgette and does when she is full of eggs or just after she has laid then so not any different fat or thin. As you say will just monitor and hope she is just different.

She has done it since I have been feeding courgette and does when she is full of eggs or just after she has laid then so not any different fat or thin. As you say will just monitor and hope she is just different.
If this is genetics, there might be no improvement. Some or all of her offspring might have the same as her.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back