FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Cassiez

Reaction score
Hi,

I did post about this bristlenose a couple of weeks ago. I had a hunch it was male when bought as female.
Since a couple of weeks ago, his/her bristles have grown even more. And grown on his/her head - which by my understanding would mean it was male but Iā€™m no expert so wanted to check to see what others thought.
Would you still say it was a female or am I right with my hunch, is it a male?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• D8EA2D9B-3BB2-448D-9E70-C23D93A70B83.png
    D8EA2D9B-3BB2-448D-9E70-C23D93A70B83.png
    423.9 KB · Views: 102
  • C35C02DD-E9B3-4D1D-81E7-F72A69F19854.png
    C35C02DD-E9B3-4D1D-81E7-F72A69F19854.png
    413.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DE29B18C-2DC4-4E27-BEC0-5C936D49D4F4.png
    DE29B18C-2DC4-4E27-BEC0-5C936D49D4F4.png
    590.8 KB · Views: 112
Male. Females only have bristles around their mouths, whereas males have bristles all over their heads.
Looks pretty malnourished like Slaphppy said, though.
1617893506723.png

Male....and sorry to say, emaciated looking...

Do you have DW for it to munch on?
Oh god, really? Thank you for replying.
He eats so much - far more than another I have thatā€™s triple his size. Iā€™ve never given my bristlenoses driftwood and they have been fine but Iā€™ll definitely be getting some if he doesnā€™t look healthy!
Does he even look malnourished in this photo? I just want to check it wasnā€™t the terrible photo angle (I was trying to get his bristles more in the last ones). And could this have happened in the 2 weeks Iā€™ve had him or would he have been like this before? I feel really guilty if itā€™s my fault!
03107B9D-0342-45CD-8FB6-7649F92BF528.jpeg

Oh god, really? Thank you for replying.
He eats so much - far more than another I have thatā€™s triple his size. Iā€™ve never given my bristlenoses driftwood and they have been fine but Iā€™ll definitely be getting some if he doesnā€™t look healthy!
Does he even look malnourished in this photo? I just want to check it wasnā€™t the terrible photo angle (I was trying to get his bristles more in the last ones). And could this have happened in the 2 weeks Iā€™ve had him or would he have been like this before? I feel really guilty if itā€™s my fault! View attachment 133920
Most plecos could do with some fattening up to be honest, but it's important that bristlenoses have some bogwood/driftwood to gnaw on to keep them happy and healthy.

Most plecos could do with some fattening up to be honest, but it's important that bristlenoses have some bogwood/driftwood to gnaw on to keep them happy and healthy.
Thank you, Iā€™ll look into getting some for him.

I will definitely, already on my way to my local aquatics store!
And he does get fed pellets and veggies. As I said he eats far more than my other which is massive.
Thank you for your advice :)
More than welcome.

Is it fed protein as well (bloodworms, brineshrimp, shrimppellets). They are omnivores.

In contrary to Clown plecos driftwood isn't must for BN's but they appreciate it (mainly as hiding spot)

Is it fed protein as well (bloodworms, brineshrimp, shrimppellets). They are omnivores.

In contrary to Clown plecos driftwood isn't must for BN's but they appreciate it (mainly as hiding spot)
Not sure if this is a "must" in general, but I always have a nice cave or hunk of driftwood in any tank with catfish or loaches. Just puts my mind at ease.

Definitely a male. Bristlenoses )Ancistrus) are omnuvores. They need to eat almost constantly. Get some Zucchini and drop a chunk in there for him to eat. Replace the zucchini 24 hours later. If it is all gone in 24 hours use a bigger piece the next day. Be sure there is always something in there for him to eat. The cited article is very misleading, Ancistrus species do not require driftwood to survive despite what some "experts" say.

I concur with the above, a male.

I also recommend driftwood, as it helps them digest food.

What brand of food are the pellets?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back