Bristlenose Eggs? Question?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Le Sorcier

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

My Plecs have just laid eggs in a cave in my tank.   

In order that they may survive would it be necessary to remove them, or is there a chance some may survive if I leave well alone?

Thanks in advance

ps

In the tank I also have Corys, Polka Dot Loach, Khulis, Red Eye Tetra, Black Ruby Barbs and an Angel.

The male will usually look after the eggs and continue looking after the fry until they lose their egg sacks and have turned from yellow to adult colouration.
Most of the other fish I would expect to leave the fry alone once they are free swimming and on the hunt for food, however I would not trust angel fish with any fry. Most barbs too I would not trust with fry.

Yep, angels do not trust, i wouldnt trust the loach either just quietly

The fry will either learn to haul fin when something looms close or they wont, survival of the smartest in a community tank i'm afraid

Many thanks.

There are plenty of places to hide in my tank so you never know?  Be nice to have some make it?!

as Baccus has said the male should guard the eggs and the fry from any possible preditors. I've heard they can get quite aggressive about guarding them but it's not something I've experience personally as mine turned out to be two boys instead of the pair that I wanted.

There could well be 100+ eggs in their cave but you need to consider that not all may hatch or make it beyond the early stages. You should still get a good yield though if the male does his job properly.

Keep us posted cos I'd love to know how this works out :D

The tetra, barbs and the angel will eat any fry they can catch. If you want to raise them I think they would be better in another tank.

Quick update.....

One of my two Black Ruby Barbs is VERY interested in the contents of the cave!!  Although at the moment my Plecs tail keeps batting him off!!

hopefully the male BN will keep wielding that tail and protect his babies - Good Luck!

They will most likely be safe while in the cave with Dad, one they come out though Dad no longer cares for them....so chances are Nom Nom Nom

No change yet?

The plec is still holed up in his cave?  I'm guessing the eggs should have hatched by now?

they should have hatched by now yes. Dad should now be guarding little wrigglers. Keep us posted :)

i wouldnt trust the loach either just quietly
Yes my Clown Loaches seem to keep the snail and fry population down in my 6 foot tank

Another quick update......

Plec is still on guard duty.  I have managed to spot a couple of babies in the cave!! 
thumbs-up.gif

oooh exciting! BN babies and curviceps babies all in one day ... think I might explode!! lol. 

Looking forward to some pictures when he finally introduces them to the world :D

The dad will try to keep the babies in the cave longer than normal when he knows letting them out adds them to the lunch menu. If you have adequate cover in the tank, a few fry may survive, most will not make it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back