Bristlenose breeding problems

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

31LJ95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have started trying to breed bristlenose. Iā€™ve had two spawns and failed both times. I have a pair in a 105l (27g). I have to females and have tried with both but have realised my male is the problem. He either kicks the eggs out (not all but some) and then lets them out to early. Well I think he does because they just donā€™t seem strong enough . I tried putting some in a breeder box but all died before egg yolk was even absorbed. Should i take all the eggs out as soon as he starts fanning? Or just see if he learns. Last time I tried taking him out the cave to get the eggs but he just wouldnā€™t come out and I didnā€™t want to hurt him to bad. Cheers

I have started trying to breed bristlenose. Iā€™ve had two spawns and failed both times. I have a pair in a 105l (27g). I have to females and have tried with both but have realised my male is the problem. He either kicks the eggs out (not all but some) and then lets them out to early. Well I think he does because they just donā€™t seem strong enough . I tried putting some in a breeder box but all died before egg yolk was even absorbed. Should i take all the eggs out as soon as he starts fanning? Or just see if he learns. Last time I tried taking him out the cave to get the eggs but he just wouldnā€™t come out and I didnā€™t want to hurt him to bad. Cheers
maybe use another male? he isnt used to being a dad maybe

If you have 2 pairs (2 males & 2 females), put them in the same tank and let them choose their partners.

Most males learn how to look after the eggs so give him time. If he continues to abandon or kick out eggs after 4 batches, then try hatching them artificially. Have them in a container of tank water with an airstone bubbling away gently to create water movement over the eggs.

Make sure the adult fish are being well fed and have algae and driftwood to graze on. If the adults are not fed well, they will produce weak babies that might not survive.

Cheers. I only have a trio. I didnā€™t feed as heavy as I should(still well fed) because I didnā€™t think my filtration was up for it. Now it is very good. Two large sponge filters and a fluval 207 strocked with biohome. For foods Iā€™ve got algea wafers, blood worms , repashi and lots of algae in the tank. Anything else I should feed?

You can feed them on most frozen or dry fish foods, and make sure they have driftwood, they need it for their digestion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back