Bristle nose pleco?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aynia

Reaction score
Heya, me again!

The hubs and I are really worried that our lfs sold us a different kinds of plecos instead of a bristle nose. They are very young, ~2 inches, and the hubs says they could be both female so we wouldn't see the big bristles, but I'm not convinced. The pictures aren't the greatest as they are hecking hard to find and photograph, but can anyone tell what species of pleco these are?

https://imgur.com/a/Wx9Pct1

Edit: idk why imgur is saying that it could contain adult images, I promise it's just two pictures of our plecos lol

They are bristlenose plecs from what I can see, they are a bit young to tell if male/female yet though but I'd say if by 3 inches there are no bristles or just a few around the edge of the mouth then they are probably both likely females.

It’s really too early to tell what type they are. They look like bn but common’s have the same coloring. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Looks like a Pitbull Bristlenose to me, I have 2 lemon Bristlenose I purchased in July. Both were small but one was about twice the size of the other one. The larger of the two is just now developing bristles 4 months later. He/she was about 2" long when I got him and about 4" now (maximum size is 5 inches) - so I'm thinking I have at least 1 male but the bristles are very very small compared to what I've seen in pictures so I'm not going to say for sure until he's another inch or so bigger. The smaller once shows a couple of bristles on her head but none around her mouth and nose.

It’s really too early to tell what type they are. They look like bn but common’s have the same coloring. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
I agree, but I do believe they're most likely Ancistrus because of the second picture. Never seen a common pleco with white fin tips. Every "common" Ancistrus I've run into in my country has those white fin tips.

Most reactions

Back