Bristle nose catfish not growing-

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ramona Topa

Reaction score
I have several aquariums and in two of them I have bristlenose catfish that I bought at the same time. One of the tanks has peaceful fish - tetras and the bristlenose is growing and doing well. The other tank has semi-aggressive fish, 1 peacock cichlid, 1 red fin shark, and the bristlenose which has not grown at all since I got him. The cichlid and the shark were bought at the same time as the two bristlenose. All of the fish were roughly the same size when I bought them about a month ago. All of them are growing well except the bristlenose in the semi aggressive tank. We feed them pellet food and algae wafers and occasionally insect pellets or shrimp. I also drop in an additional algae pellet in the evening because I noticed that the cichlid ate most of the morning pellet before the bristlenose got a chance at it. The cichlid actually comes out of his hidey hole in the evening to snag the pellet, so I put half a pellet to attract the cichlid and another elsewhere in the tank for the bristlenose. Since he's still not growing I don't know what else to do. He was 1 - 1.5 inches when I got him and he's still about the same size. The bristlenose in the other tank has grown from 1-1.5 inches to about 2 inches maybe 2.5. Is there something else I can do?

I have several aquariums and in two of them I have bristlenose catfish that I bought at the same time. One of the tanks has peaceful fish - tetras and the bristlenose is growing and doing well. The other tank has semi-aggressive fish, 1 peacock cichlid, 1 red fin shark, and the bristlenose which has not grown at all since I got him. The cichlid and the shark were bought at the same time as the two bristlenose. All of the fish were roughly the same size when I bought them about a month ago. All of them are growing well except the bristlenose in the semi aggressive tank. We feed them pellet food and algae wafers and occasionally insect pellets or shrimp. I also drop in an additional algae pellet in the evening because I noticed that the cichlid ate most of the morning pellet before the bristlenose got a chance at it. The cichlid actually comes out of his hidey hole in the evening to snag the pellet, so I put half a pellet to attract the cichlid and another elsewhere in the tank for the bristlenose. Since he's still not growing I don't know what else to do. He was 1 - 1.5 inches when I got him and he's still about the same size. The bristlenose in the other tank has grown from 1-1.5 inches to about 2 inches maybe 2.5. Is there something else I can do?
It can be hard for a pleco to compete for food if your cichlids eat everything you put in there. I would try putting vegetables like cucumber in there because the pleco should go to town on it while the other fish will most likely not eat it. If that doesn’t help I recommend putting it in the tank with the other bristlenose.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Are both aquariums the same size?
Fish grow faster in larger volumes of water (bigger tanks).

Female bristlenose don't grow as quickly or as big as males. You might have a male in one tank and a female in the other tank. The smaller one could have intestinal worms or some other health issue slowing its growth.

The red finned shark will be competing with the bristlenose for food. Put food in at both ends of the tank so the shark can go to one side, and the bristlenose can go to the other side.

Make sure you have driftwood in both tanks because bristlenose and rainbow/ red finned sharks need the wood to help their digestion.

Put a plastic storage container outside in the sun and fill it with dechlorinated water. Add 1 level tablespoon of garden fertiliser per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. Put some smooth rocks or plastic ornaments in the container of water and leave them there until they are covered in algae. Then move one algae covered rock into each tank and let the bristlenose and shark can eat the algae. When the rock is reasonably clean, rinse it off and swap it for one in the container.

--------------------------
How often do you do water changes?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate new water before adding it to the tank?

If you want fish to grow quickly, you should do lots of big water changes. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every week. If you have suckermouth catfish in the tank, then you can do it twice a week. In my rearing tanks I used to do a 75-80% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day and the fish grew rapidly.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Make sure you clean the filters regularly. Filters should be cleaned at least once a month, and every 2 weeks is better if you keep suckermouth catfish (bristlenose, plecos, etc). However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water.

If you have a filter that has pads/ cartridges in, and the manufacturer recommends changing these pads regularly, get some sponges from another brand of filter and put the sponges in the filter with the pads. Keep them there for 6 weeks and then remove the cartridges and don't bother replacing them. Just use sponges and they will last for years and save you a lot of money on replacement cartridges.

Sponges should be cleaned in a bucket of tank water and re-used.

What is the temperature of the aquarium water?
Fish grow faster in warmer water and 26-28C (75-82F) is a good temperature for rearing most tropical fish. If the water temperature is less than 24C, then raise it up a bit. Lower temps (24-26C) are better for most adult fish unless they are breeding, then raise it up during breeding.

Drop an algae wafer in the tank after lights turn off. Plecos are more active at night and he will find the wafer. Drop it in the area of the tank where he usually hangs out. Also you should have a cave for the Pleco to hide in. You can use PVC tube or a small clay flower pot on its side to make a cave. I made my cave by siliconing a piece of flagstone to a few rocks. He hangs out under it very often. I drop a wafer in front of the cave and he will munch on it soon thereafter.

Make sure you have driftwood in both tanks because bristlenose and rainbow/ red finned sharks need the wood to help their digestion.

Is there anything else you can put into a tank to help with a BN's digestion?

You can use cholla sticks. Cheap and available everywhere.

Is there anything else you can put into a tank to help with a BN's digestion?
driftwood and algae are the best things for suckermouth catfish like bristlenose and plecos.

you can give them cucumber, pumpkin and zucchini as well but they don't digest them as well as algae.

driftwood and algae are the best things for suckermouth catfish like bristlenose and plecos.

you can give them cucumber, pumpkin and zucchini as well but they don't digest them as well as algae.

I feed mine cucumber once or twice a week but dont have driftwood in my 29g.

I did ask my LFS about their diet etc and wasnt told about driftwood. Might be able to add him to my big tank in the future but will have to do something short term

Cheers Colin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back