Bringing home new fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

val

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was thinking, I'm bringing home two male cichlids (they are peaceful, though) at the same time and putting them in the tank at the same time. Is this going to cause any serious fighting? I thought if I put them in at the same time there would be less, if any, fighting than if I put one in first and then the other. That would cause one to be a bully, right? I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly before I bring them home. ( I know I've been asking a lot of questions, sorry. :*) )

Valerie

P.S.
They're the Jade eyed cichlids.

usually it is easier to put juvies together imo than adults. if the fish have grown up together theremay be some fighting as to who is the king of the tank. if they have not been housed together previously, definitely will be fighting to see which is dominant.

when you put them in the tank together make sure that there is a hiding spot or tow for eachof them to claim. keep the lights off for a few days for them to get used to the new tank and eachother. may cut down on some of the fighting.

maggie

Adding at the same time is a good idea so one does not claim territory before the other. They will be much more interested in their new home than each other (hopefully). What kind did you get?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back