Brine Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to hatch some brine shrimp for my puffers, and I misread the instructions...I didn't see the "aquarium" part when then said to add salt, and just used plain table salt. :S Will this still work? What will it look like when they starting hatching? (I'll go buy aquarium salt if the table stuff doesn't work :*) )

P.S. I guess they do like snails...I haven't seen any of the snails I had in the tank...maybe that's why they haven't been eating...or maybe they're just picky eaters. :nod:

no, it won't work.

you need aquarium salt. It's quite inexpensive, you should pick some up.

Brine shrimp are just sea monkies.

Thanks. :D I'll be heading out shortly to get some of the "right" salt. Good thing I have a 24hr Wal-Mart here. The package said it usually take 24hrs for them to hatch...is there anyway I could speed this up?

While aquarium salt will work, I would not spend the money on it!!!!!!

Kosher salt, or any non iodized salt will work just fine!!!

I personally use kosher salt. I used to buy it by the 50 pound bag for hatching brine shrimp.

Don't waste the money on aquarium salt!!!!!

Depending on the brand of brine eggs you have, they should start to hatch within 18 hours or so at a temp of 82 degrees. It takes much longer to hatch them out at room temperature.

When they hatch, you will need to let the brine mix (eggs and salt water) settle for about 20 minutes. Place a light source at the bottom of the hatching jar and the newly hatched brine will swim towards the bottom where it will be easy to get to them. The egg shells will float to the top.

The best method of getting the brine out of the jar is to use a turkey baster. Make sure it has not been used though. Simply dip the baster into the shrimp where they have congregated and suck them up in the baster.

You will want to place them in a seperate container and when all shrimp have been removed from the hatching jar use a brine shrimp net to rinse them off. You can simply run them, while in the net, under luke warm water. Then feed to your fish.

CM
CM

lol, I wish I would have read your post earlier...I just got back from buying aquarium salt. lol :lol: Oh well, it only cost me a dollar. I don't have a brine shrimp net...is there anything else I could use? I'm sure my regular fish net wouldn't work.

A filter media bag (the kind for carbon) would work as well as the toe from an old nylon.

Best to get a brine shrimp net though....

CM

Hi,

Kosher salt is cheaper in the states?

Not in London, keeping a kosher kitchen is very expensive in London :no:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back