Brine Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Crazycat lady

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have got a brine shrimp hatchery and want to give the BBS to my fry. How do you do that exactly. the brine shrimp are in a very concentrated salt water solution so can't just pour the water into the fry tank and they're really small so fall through a net!

complete rookie question sorry x
hatchery.jpg
[/url][/img]

hatchery.jpg
[/url][/img]

hatchery.jpg
[/url][/img]

try that one again

Rubber band a paper coffee filter to the top of a cup. Squirt the bbs in with whatever you are using to remove them from the hatchery with. Rinse with fresh water & feed.

I cut the toe end out of an old pair of tights and stretched it over my net then squirted them on it, rinsed and fed :good:

Aha great! Thankyou very much. No coffee filters but I'm sure I can steal an old pair of tights off my mum :)
Cheers x

Hmm shrimp were 5 days old n still went through coffee filter!
They have to be small mind to feed my babies. I wonder... During a water change, I could turn off air pump n let the shrimp sink as much as possible,
Syphon off as much salt water as possible then add the remainder to the replacement water for the tank.
I usually put in a touch of aquarium salt for general well being!
Comments??
Xx

I actually use a small brine shrimp net which is a very fine white net you can usually find in pet stores. It may not be a complete problem as I know quite a few breeders who squirt the shrimp in with the water and they have no problems since a little salt is usually fine with freshwater fish.

I just squirt the shrimp in with the water and hope for the best.. The salt will dilute many times over, if you squirt in 50mL of brine solution into a 90 litre tank then the salt's not going to be very concentrated when it all gets mixed up is it? (You do see the water get an odd swirly texture when the salt water mixes, kinda freaky.. but my GBRs don't seem fussed by it!).

thankyou for the advice. i usually do a 20% water change every week or so depending on levels. so i'm gonna try replacing my aquarium salt with an ickle bit of brine rich salt water. yummy!!! my fry now live an a lovely little 20l in my room now. I've called it the shire coz it's full of hobbits :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back