Bricks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've a tank at work where I've re-homed some malawis and catfish for a friend whos tank was about to break (bracing gone) and needed a quick solution.  

The set up was never intended for malawis though, so the plants are looking a bit worse for wear and there are no rocky hiding places which I believe that malawis would like.  

What I cannot do is buy lots of rock, but I was wondering about a much cheaper solution with terracotta plant pots (sawn in two) and bricks with holes.  I could then stack the bricks at angles, and give lots of hidey holes for the fish - it may work or may look rubbish, need to try it out but it won't cost much which is what I need.

Would the bricks and terracotta effect the pH of the water in any way, or would I be OK with this?

Thanks,

M

Facing-Brick_large.jpg

I would think the roughness of the bricks may be too hard on the fish's slime coat---dont think it would affect ph

Malawis are are one of the few fish types who are okay with rough rocks and terracotta is perfectly safe i tanks. I've seen some set ups using them that have looked pretty good.

Should be okay but just make sure to wash them really well before placing them in the tank. Post some pictures! I'm interested in seeing what type of set up you'll have. 

I've used both in my tanks and it works fine make sure to wash them like kiwi210 said and make sure that none of the wholes in the bricks are two small because the fish will try to swim through and get stuck :)

Not Malawi's, but I use half terracotta pots with my Jewel Cichlids, and also two small terracotta saucers siliconed together then a hole drilled through one bit, make a great cave for dwarf cichlids

PB070003.jpg

PB070073.jpg

I could not get bricks today but did find some terracotta pot legs - holding up the wood seems to work well as the fish like going underneath, but I'd still like to play with some bricks.

Apologies for the rubbish photo:

IMG_20140217_172809_681.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back