Breeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beth_obrien2424

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So this question is about some fish in my sisters cold water tank. She has a black moor, a fancy tail goldfish and an oranda. The black moor and fancy tail are both male and the oranda is female. The males are both chasing her around and have breeding spots on their gills. Can they breed with orandas? I don’t really know much about what kinds of fish can breed with each other and don’t know whether to expect her to lay eggs or not

The three fish are all the same species so they can breed together; like all dogs can breed together regardless of breed.
Ah. Okay thank you very much. I just wasn’t sure if an oranda is the same species because the tail is slightly different. It’s not as fancy and is quite short. The oranda also does not have a dorsal Finn and so I wasn’t sure if they were compatible

Goldfish have been selectively bred to get all the different forms. Like dogs have been bred to create labradors, poodles, spaniels etc and if they breed together you get mongrels. If you breed two different types of gold fish you'll get 'mongrel' goldifsh (there's probably a name for them, but I don't know it)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back