Breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sted

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi i have been breeding bn plecs for a while and selling them to my lfs but as we all know that is not really a challenge all i do really is feed and catch the babies.

i have cories and gorarmi in my tank along with some neons

can i breed any of these?

if so any advice?

also what other fish can i breed in this tank if i was to buy (not livebearers i.e guppy or molly)

after a bit of a challenge really

thanks for looking
steve

It depends on the size of your tank i guess?

Cory'sare easy to breed from what i have read, and i have a ppair of breeding Kribs which seem to be doing very well. You could try to breed Angels if the tank was sufficient enough to house them along with the fish you mentioned you already have.

angels would eat my bn babies

kribs???

Corys are easy to breed, do a 40% cold water change and plop in a cube of frozen bloodworm, then over the next few days they will spawn. Ideally they have their own tank as the sudden drop in water temp might knock off your other fish.

Some breeds of Cory seem easier to breed than others but if you want to try breeding them I would suggest the easier ones first such as Peppered or Bronze. Getting them to lay the eggs is relatively easy the tricky part is actually raising the fry. The Gouramis could be a real challange to breed, depending on what type you have and how many the males can get pretty territiorial. To breed gouramis with some very general info I would suggest having either a piece of glass suspended just above the water so the male can make his bubble nest (if you have bubble nest types, not all of them breed this way) and it shouldn't all evaporate. Otherwise a large lily type leaf would serve the same purpose and could be easier to put in place than a sheet of glass. Some conditioning of the potential parents my be required (aside from providing them with more live food and other treats to get them in tip top condition) mainly I would think of lowered water level for a bit and then raising it again to simulate the coming of the rainy season. The change in water height would also to some degree include a change in water temp and this too might get the gouramis in the mood. Water chemistery will also need to be very close to their natural habitats water type. So much really depends on what type of gouramis you have to their exact requirements for breeding. Some gouramis can literally produce thousands of fry and they will need a lot of room if you are going to raise the majority of them.

Neon tetra's are quite hard to breed there was a very good write up on a forum (not sure if it was this one). I would like to give this a go myself one day.

Ya thanks for advice. Would love to breed cories or something a but different. What else does everyone breed?

Ya thanks for advice. Would love to breed cories or something a but different. What else does everyone breed?

I am currently breeding Endlers and Red Cherry Shrimp, plus some Kribensis Pulcher on the side :) All good fun!

Corys are easy to breed but in my community tank the eggs get eaten before I can transfer them! Def worth a try as very cute!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back