Breeding WCMM ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Any tips on how best to breed WCMM? Should I just introduce a pair to a tank? Or a group of 6 and hope they pair off? I am going to be getting a 60l tank for this breeding project. Also how to easily identify male and female?

I have no real practice yet, since I have had them for 3 days only, but even I have seen a spawning behavior :)
I have the gold variant, the males have yellowish tops of the fins and flash the fins, females do not. Otherwise it is the male is a slender, female is rounder difference
I translated a czech article on breeding these, granted from 2008
They are saying java moss, the tank should ideally be hit by sunlight, airfilter. Using a pair or two males, one female, ofcourse feed well, live and frozen food before. Remove the parents.
The eggs fall to the ground, the fry after two days shoots out of the eggsack and sticks to whatever is closest, fourth day starts to swim, after seven days, feeding is advised with dust or infusoria, week five they can eat baby brine shrimp, seven weeks is considered fully developed (looks like adult fish)
I am hoping mine will breed in the main tank

I have no real practice yet, since I have had them for 3 days only, but even I have seen a spawning behavior :)
I have the gold variant, the males have yellowish tops of the fins and flash the fins, females do not. Otherwise it is the male is a slender, female is rounder difference
I translated a czech article on breeding these, granted from 2008
They are saying java moss, the tank should ideally be hit by sunlight, airfilter. Using a pair or two males, one female, ofcourse feed well, live and frozen food before. Remove the parents.
The eggs fall to the ground, the fry after two days shoots out of the eggsack and sticks to whatever is closest, fourth day starts to swim, after seven days, feeding is advised with dust or infusoria, week five they can eat baby brine shrimp, seven weeks is considered fully developed (looks like adult fish)
I am hoping mine will breed in the main tank
Great thankyou I’ll refer to this once I have them. Does my tank size sound ok for the number I’m looking at keeping?

I dont feel qualified to answer, all I can tell you is, I have only 8 of them now in 150l and they are super lively!
Maybe look in the vietnamese minnows, same fish, smaller dimensions? Then you could easily do 10 I guess. Hope someone else answers

I dont feel qualified to answer, all I can tell you is, I have only 8 of them now in 150l and they are super lively!
Maybe look in the vietnamese minnows, same fish, smaller dimensions? Then you could easily do 10 I guess. Hope someone else answers
I’m hoping to breed them in my shed outside, so I need a fish that doesn’t mind cold waters

WCMM can withstand very low temperatures keeping them outside in a shed throughout the winter months should be no problem
it is best to keep a group of at least 6 -12 fish .they are easy to keep and breed however they are very unlikely to breed throughout the winter months . males are more colourful then females ,
some eggs from today's spawning
IMG_4282.JPG

WCMM can withstand very low temperatures keeping them outside in a shed throughout the winter months should be no problem
it is best to keep a group of at least 6 -12 fish .they are easy to keep and breed however they are very unlikely to breed throughout the winter months . males are more colourful then females ,
View attachment 304800
Wow are they white even when fertilised? Also what ratio male and female should I go for? I’m looking at keeping 6 in my 62l tank. Would you recommend 6 or more in this size tank?

the eggs are transparent , the eggs in pic stand out quite a bit because I've added methylene blue it helps to stop any fungus spreading not all eggs will Hatch,
I find them very peaceful among each other I prefer to keep them in as pairs 2 foot tank will be fine for 3- 4 pairs or maybe a ratio of 2 males and 4 females ,
below a normal male and gold female due to spawn tomorrow
IMG_4268.JPG

the eggs are transparent , the eggs in pic stand out quite a bit because I've added methylene blue it helps to stop any fungus spreading not all eggs will Hatch,
I find them very peaceful among each other I prefer to keep them in as pairs 2 foot tank will be fine for 3- 4 pairs or maybe a ratio of 2 males and 4 females ,
below a normal male and gold female due to spawn tomorrow
View attachment 304805
Okay great, do I remove the fry once freeswimming?

if the are free swimming they would be safe left in the tank ,keep the fish well fed and a tank with plenty of plants for the fry to hide however not all eggs will hatch and some of them will be eaten I remove all the eggs to get greater success in numbers

if the are free swimming they would be safe left in the tank ,keep the fish well fed and a tank with plenty of plants for the fryto hide
Cool thankyou :) would it harm them to remove them? It’s just I’ll be having 2 tanks. A main tank and a fry tank so I don’t get confused which ones I should sell and keep

I’ll also ask, should I just leave eggs and wrigglers aswell?

if you have two tanks and want greatest success pickout your best pear and breed them together in second tank use marbles or a mesh a net

View attachment 304800
from one pair of gold White Cloud Mountain minnow total of eggs 107 , 85 of them should Hatch within the next few days

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back