Breeding Shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tom H

Reaction score
i have decided to get some freshwater shrimps for my 8gal tank, as recommended by others. just wondering how easy are they to breed, and do they have any special requirements?

Thanks

Tom

i've had ghost shrimp laden with green colored eggs. they held them for about a month or so and then i guess she dropped the eggs. never did see any babies though. i've read that it is pretty hard to breed them, but what do i know?

It depends on the shrimp. Some shrimp (like Cherry Reds) will breed readily if the tank conditions are good and the food supply is good; the females carry the fertlized eggs around under their tails and the babies hatch as miniature adults. Other shrimp (like Amanos, some ghosts, Opae-ula) as adults can live in freshwater but their newborns (larvae stage) need saltwater within the first week of hatching to morph into mini-adults when they can be transferred back to freshwater (some have to be in saltwater longer than others). You can read about various (not all though) shrimp types at www.petshrimp.com to get an idea of what each type of shrimp's needs are, etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back