Breeding shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lizliz

Reaction score
Hi I have 2 of these shrimps in my tank and last night noticed a baby shrimp. I have a community fish tank with sail fin mollys and a Male and female gourami along with a few other fish.
As soon as we noticed the baby shrimp we transferred it to a floating breeding tank within my tank. I’m not sure if this is the right thing to do. I’ve tried to have a look on the internet but have not had much luck. I’ve never bred fish before and saw a baby molly in my tank last month which sadly disappeared the following day hence buying the breeding tank. Any advice would be much appreciated. I’ve added a photo of my shrimp and the baby in the breeding tank. thanks

Attachments

• D018D64D-AD65-4E60-AD7B-8F3E6B54E0C2.jpeg
    D018D64D-AD65-4E60-AD7B-8F3E6B54E0C2.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 4F010B34-67E2-4952-89CA-8C1348F65322.jpeg
    4F010B34-67E2-4952-89CA-8C1348F65322.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 84
Congratulations on the baby! There are a few stocking issues here that I would be happy to help you resolve:)
What size is your tank?
What are your water parameters?
What other fish do you have?
Mollies are hard water fish, so much so that they can survive in full salt water, while gourami are a soft water species, no matter if you have hard or soft water in your area one of these fish will be suffering. @Byron is very good at explaining this.
Gourami will often eat shrimp at their full grown size, so be prepared for that to happen

Congratulations on the baby! There are a few stocking issues here that I would be happy to help you resolve:)
What size is your tank?
What are your water parameters?
What other fish do you have?
Mollies are hard water fish, so much so that they can survive in full salt water, while gourami are a soft water species, no matter if you have hard or soft water in your area one of these fish will be suffering. @Byron is very good at explaining this.
Gourami will often eat shrimp at their full grown size, so be prepared for that to happen
Thanks so much for the reply. I currently have an 80litre tank. The water in my area is hard. That much I know. I invested in an api master kit and all the water levels are ok. The shrimp I bought are about 1inch they are pretty big but the baby is tiny.
I have neon tetras and panda Corydoras in the tank too. Should I leave the baby shrimp in the breeding box as I don’t want it to be eaten?

Thanks so much for the reply. I currently have an 80litre tank. The water in my area is hard. That much I know. I invested in an api master kit and all the water levels are ok. The shrimp I bought are about 1inch they are pretty big but the baby is tiny.
I have neon tetras and panda Corydoras in the tank too. Should I leave the baby shrimp in the breeding box as I don’t want it to be eaten?
Could you please post the exact test results? It's not that we dont trust you but seeing the numbers help :) yes you can leave the shrimp in the box for now :)

I would let the baby out. It may get eaten but in the breeding box it may starve as there won't be biofilm to graze on. Make sure the tank has plenty of hiding spots.

If you choose to keep it in there be sure there is some plants or something for it to munch on

Hello and welcome to the forum. As far as transferring the baby shrimp, that is fine, just make sure you feed it. Hiding spots are also good if you want to let it out. I would try and see if it will eat in the box before letting it out. If is seems fine let it grow a little.

Last edited:
Sheer curiosity - what type of shrimp are they? In the second photo the shrimp looks to have very thick front legs.

If there are plenty hiding places the juvenile shrimp will be OK in the main tank. It looks bigger than a newly hatched shrimp so it's already been hiding somewhere.

Could you please post the exact test results? It's not that we dont trust you but seeing the numbers help :) yes you can leave the shrimp in the box for now :)
Hi I’ve just done a test
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Ammonia 0.5 ppm
Ph is 8.0

Hi I’ve just done a test
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Ammonia 0.5 ppm
Ph is 8.0
The ph I did was high range and that’s what it showed the normal ph solution showed 7.6

The ordinary pH tester will show the highest level when the pH is off the top of the scale. And the high range will the lowest colour when the reading is off the bottom of the scale.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back