What's new

Breeding Rams

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
What makes you think those eggs are not fertile? They look OK in the photo, but that may not be true. It takes 2-3 days for the eggs to hatch. Also, new pairs often fail the first few attempts, especially with tank raised fish.

I guess you could say that I assumed - as the male never looked ready to breed. It's been a while since I've bred cichlids, but I do remember that when I used to breed Kribs their eggs would appear olive color at first and then turn white within 24 hours if they were not fertilized; they would stay olive if fertilized.

I did some mental math: "Male not appearing ready" + "very few eggs left" + "24 hour appearance I noticed when breeding Kribs" = not fertilized.

Hope that you are correct!

I guess you could say that I assumed - as the male never looked ready to breed. It's been a while since I've bred cichlids, but I do remember that when I used to breed Kribs their eggs would appear olive color at first and then turn white within 24 hours if they were not fertilized; they would stay olive if fertilized.

I did some mental math: "Male not appearing ready" + "very few eggs left" + "24 hour appearance I noticed when breeding Kribs" = not fertilized.

Hope that you are correct!

Did you see the spawning act? The female lays a row of eggs, then the male fertilizes them, then another, etc. You may know that, but I don't know that you do or don't so I mention it.

Did you see the spawning act? The female lays a row of eggs, then the male fertilizes them, then another, etc. You may know that, but I don't know that you do or don't so I mention it.

I did not unfortunately. I just fed them this morning and happened to take a gander. You are correct I am familiar with the spawning technique - I just believe that it took place overnight. What's odd is that the male showed no signs of spawning.

The eggs are now gone, so I guess I'll never know if they were fertile or not. Maybe next time!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back