Breeding rack

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mick85

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
We're back into lockdown in Melbourne so I've finally got my butt into gear and started putting the puzzle pieces together for my breeding rack! Bought 3x 60x30x36cm approx 70L starfire glass tanks, 3x sponge/media filters, 3x cheap ebay spec LED lights and 3x Aquaone 100w heaters. All I'm waiting on is a distributor for the airline hoses and the vinyl wrap for the backgrounds.

I'm hoping to breed pea puffers as they're rare where i am and they sell for plenty!

As the top tanks back onto each other i was wondering whether i should black out the background on one of them so it looks like 2 seperate tanks or if i leave them clear so i can make it look like one big tank with the hardscape sort of flowing from one tank to the other. What do you think?

20210602_193003.jpg

20210602_193007.jpg

Wow great project looks great! This might be an interesting channel for you to sift through they breed all different kinds of puffers - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUNhfVVtbAgS_rdV74fLcPQ Its a Japanese (I think) channel but you can kind of make sense of it :)

I'd leave the tanks clear between and run some hardscape through them if you could get some wood and cut it straight down so it looks like one piece going through the glass it would look very cool!

Wills

Wow great project looks great! This might be an interesting channel for you to sift through they breed all different kinds of puffers - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUNhfVVtbAgS_rdV74fLcPQ Its a Japanese (I think) channel but you can kind of make sense of it :)

I'd leave the tanks clear between and run some hardscape through them if you could get some wood and cut it straight down so it looks like one piece going through the glass it would look very cool!

Wills
I've watched a few videos on pea puffer breeding, doesn't look all that difficult.

That's exactly what i was thinking with the hardscape! Would look pretty awesome.

how do you breed pea puffs?
sounds cool
From what I've seen it's pretty simple. Get a male and female, put them in a planted tank, feed them live/frozen high protein food and do regular water changes. I hope it's that easy because they sell for $200 per fish and it's gonna be expensive to start up!

From what I've seen it's pretty simple. Get a male and female, put them in a planted tank, feed them live/frozen high protein food and do regular water changes. I hope it's that easy because they sell for $200 per fish and it's gonna be expensive to start up!
WOW COOL
overhere its like $8 for one and i thought THAT was expensive.

WOW COOL
overhere its like $8 for one and i thought THAT was expensive.
Yeh there's not many fish shops that stock them here and from what I've seen there's only 1 breeder who actually advertises when they have them. That's why they're so expensive.

Yeh there's not many fish shops that stock them here and from what I've seen there's only 1 breeder who actually advertises when they have them. That's why they're so expensive.
they are cute though
200 is a lot, i could buy like 100 female guppies (1.99)
or 1/5 of an eel

Just blacked out the backgrounds with vinyl wrap. First time doing it but i think it came out pretty good! I've pretty much got everything i need to at least start putting in substrate but first i want to get some plywood cut to make a base for each level of the rack.
20210604_222958.jpg

20210609_132117.jpg20210609_163257.jpg
3 layers of substrate have gone into one of the tanks. 1st layer is organic garden soil, 2nd is amazonia aquasoil/gravel mix and top layer is ADA la plata sand. Not sure if I'll use that driftwood, just put it there to see what it looked like. Might go to the LFS today and get some plants!
20210613_163459.jpg

Just ordered some plants! Probably went a bit overboard as i usually do haha

Pink Baby Tears
Filigree Milfoil - Myriophyllum Simulans
Alternanthera Reineckii - Telanthera Bunch
Rotala Rotundifolia Colorata Tissue Culture
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Staurogyne Repens Tissue Culture
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
Micranthemum Monte Carlo Tissue Culture
Hairgrass – Eleocharis Acicularis

Plants have arrived.
20210617_161017.jpg

Bought some round lava rocks too! Got them soaking in a bucket to get all the dirt and dust off them.
20210617_161022.jpg

Will be starting it tonight!

Just ordered some plants! Probably went a bit overboard as i usually do haha

Pink Baby Tears
Filigree Milfoil - Myriophyllum Simulans
Alternanthera Reineckii - Telanthera Bunch
Rotala Rotundifolia Colorata Tissue Culture
Hygrophila Corymbosa
Staurogyne Repens Tissue Culture
Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
Micranthemum Monte Carlo Tissue Culture
Hairgrass – Eleocharis Acicularis