Breeding Question Help, Barbs Cory's Plecs :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

blueboy1

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, in my 55 gal I have a breeding trio of rosy barbs which I will soon start taking out once a month or so to let them scatter their eggs in a breeding tank, I'm just curious if anyone could help me out with a picture of what a female full of eggs looks like so I know what to search for, also, is there a behaviour change when they are ready to lay? I have 4 sterbia cories and two have slightly nipped fins, I also have 5 bronze cories (3 longfin and 2 ordinary.) will it be the barbs nipping the fins? The only fish in the tank with them is livebearers and neons. Also will it be possible for the cories to lay eggs and I save them before the rosy eat them? Do Rosie's eat eggs? And how long will my plec guard the eggs for in the bogwood I was considering taking the eggs out but I don't want to disturb the eggs or male bristlenose! I know it's a lot of question and don't expect them all to get answered but I'm looking for advice and where else better to ask :) should I give the Rosie's away if they will harm the cories or Cory eggs or provide more cover for the Cory's to avoid potential nipping? And will a mix of longfin and short fin cories still breed ok? Thanks for any help most appreciated :) ps. Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JGQGl8dueDw The "breeding chamber" that is. 56 seconds in.

For a start successful breeding is best accomplished in a species tank. Most fish see any eggs, wigglers and fry as a menu item. Even parents in many cases will eat their own eggs or babies.

Many corys tend to hide eggs which can make them hard to spot or to find once you know they are spawning. They can be pulled not long after they have been stuck to the things the female will find for them. Swordtails, for one love, cory eggs.

Rosy barbs can be nippy. Sterbai fry can be a bit difficult to raise, it took me a few tries before I got any past 30 days. I took long fin rosy barbs to 3 generations in my tanks years back as well. The lf are less aggressive.

Pleco dads raise their young until the go free swimming, do nothing for them and they do fine. But once the fry are let out, they too go on the menu for other fish. Plecos rarely eat their young, It is usually done by a subordinant female looking to get a shot at spawning which wont happen as long as a dad is raising a brood.

If you are not interested in using species tanks for spawning, then the best odds for having some offspring make it is to have lots of cover in the tank. Many plants, pieces of driftwood and anything else that breaks up sight lines and offers hiding places helps.

My plec seems to Be guarding eggs and has been in the miidle of a bogwood cave for some time, so I think it is guarding eggs, should I take them out and put them into an egg tumbler? And, they are not in species tanks buty 55 gal community heavy planted tank. I do however have a 35l tank I can move the bars to the scatter their eggs before putting them back into community tank and the same for the cories if that same thing is possible?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back