Breeding Pair of Angelfish. Need Fish Community Recommendations.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JeniNeis

Reaction score
Hi-

I have a pair of breeding Angelfish. They are in a community with other angels, snails, loach, and rainbows. They laid their eggs and were caring for them well! One morning I woke to a snail on the eggs and most gone. I can't confirm the snail ate them but no more eggs. I just got a new tank 55 gallon. I want to place the pair of breeding angels in the new tank. I would also like to add other fish to the community that WON'T eat the eggs or fry. I also don't want to remove the fry but let the parents raise them for a month.

I will plant my new 55 gallon and incorporate plants for the fry to hide. Any suggestions on plants or other fish to add to the community that won't impact the breeding pair too much? I am not opposed to some loss if the community is happy and balanced. Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Most fish given the opportunity will readily eat any eggs they come across. The angelfish parents in time will become fairly good protectors, but this ends at dark which is when any nocturnal fish have easy pickings (cories are very good at this).

The pair themselves (if they were tank-raised angelfish) usually eat the eggs of the first few/several spawns but eventually get the idea. This might have been the case here; once the pair decide to devour the clutch of eggs, they have no interest in what the snails may do.

Raising fry successfully is more likely if the pair are on their own.

Most fish given the opportunity will readily eat any eggs they come across. The angelfish parents in time will become fairly good protectors, but this ends at dark which is when any nocturnal fish have easy pickings (cories are very good at this).

The pair themselves (if they were tank-raised angelfish) usually eat the eggs of the first few/several spawns but eventually get the idea. This might have been the case here; once the pair decide to devour the clutch of eggs, they have no interest in what the snails may do.

Raising fry successfully is more likely if the pair are on their own.

Thank you Bryson. Very informative and helpful.

Snails will eat most eggs they come across. Fish are opportunists and they will eat eggs when they get a shot at them too. At night when the fish are resting the eggs are fair game.
It's best to move the pair now that they are spawning to a smaller safer tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back