Breeding net or 5 gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishman6247

Reaction score
A couple of days ago i was at the LFS and bought a breeding net for my swordtail. Shes been in there for two days and has not giving birth. I was thinking about buying a two 5 gallons any way to seperate the males and females in the fry so they dont breed like rabbits. Would a 5 gallon be better for the female so she would be less stressed and have more room? Also id have to keep close attention on her so incase she gives birth she doesnt eat the fry. It will be a couple of days however before i can afford the 5 gallon so for right now shes staying in the net.
There was also a cheep 1gallon that i could buy now or would that be too small?

First off 2 days in a breeder net is more than enough for a preggers female -_- Take her out now otherwise the stress could cause her to abort.
I have an 8.5 gallon tank that is well planted . I use this for preggers mums to give birth in. They seem much happier and in the end you get happier mum/happier fry :) . As long as its well planted you won't loose many fry at all. and if anything is far better as they can get away from the mum straight away unlike a breeder net where she has a better chance of eating them :crazy: Breeder nets are good to keep fry if you have no where else to put them, but I feel its too confining for the mother. She will find giving birth much easier if she can swim freely and knows she has places to hide.

To help cycle a new tank use gravel and plants/wood from you main tank. This wil already have the bacteria on it that you need to boost the process. And its always a good idea (if your water in the main tank is cycled) to add about 50 % of this to the new tank. That way its not such a change for the fish and will keep stress to a minimum.

Hope you soon have little ones :thumbs:

what you should do to aid in the process of cycling the 5s and 10 is tank all of te needed water for the 5s and tanks most of the needed water for the 10. that should aid in the cycling.

HTH
Joe

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back