breeding neons

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clueless

Reaction score
Hi i would like to try breeding my neon tetras and have bought a small one gallon tank for the purpose have cycled it for about six weeks now and the water tests fine for fish i have not put in any plants or gravel but have a small filter wrapped in an old fry net and a small heater in it i have six neons two i think are male but iam not sure how you tell and one neon is about twice the size of the others and has a rounder shape so i assume that this is a femail and may be pregnant again would like to know the signs. should i put in some gravel? i havent because i thought it would make eggs easier to spot when should i put a femail and a mail in the tank? has anybody been sucsessful with neons? any advice would be usefull

I havent bred neons before, and I dont know anyone who has, but what I can tell you is that you will need very,very soft water and a pH below 7 or the eggs wont hatch.
Neons spawn in aquariums much more regularly than is known, but because they eggs are so sensitive and the fry so tiny, successful raising of the fry is extremely difficult.

Ken

thanks didn,t know that i have a big lump of ph reducing rock that i use if the ph in my big tank gets high i will put that in and then test daily

Clueless, the only way to raise Neon Fry is in a seperate tank with no light for the first week.....at least from what I have read and been told. The fry are totally light sensative so must be kept in the dark.

Other then that, I don't know a thing about raising the fry after that hurdle is crossed????? :dunno:

do you mean total darkness, or no bulb in the tank? total darkness is possible but will mean putting the tank in the attic. however the tank is in a dark place under a desk with no direct light at the moment

thanks for the link found a few good sites myself but still its different reading how to do it on a web site to finding someone who has been sucsesfull in breeding them themselves found an exelent site if anybody is interested
mike edwardes tropicals

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back