Breeding My Discus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Some lovin' went down last night! 
wub.png

I have added methylene blue, to help prevent fungus. Stopped feeding the parents(they won"t be fed until after the fry are swimming), and I won't do any water changes until just before the eggs hatch. This is all on the assumption that the eggs are actually fertile! I will know in the 24-48 hours.

Bit of a rubbish photo!.............

[/URL]">http://

Ooh!! Right, I better keep checking then! ;) I love hearing about other people's breeding success. Wish I'd been able to be more successful with breeding my betta's but ah well :)

It took me a while to read the whole thread, but it was worth it. Just realized I read 3 years worth of posts, (2011-2014 as of now) and I wasted away 4 hours of my life. Great thread that is still going strong. Good luck with this new batch of eggs and congrats on the new tank! I have begun following the thread, and intend to keep reading. Continue doing what you do.

Also, do you think I could fit a few discus in a  planted 20 gallon long? I really like the look but have never kept discus and I would love your advice.

Thanks,
        CoryFever

CoryFever said:
It took me a while to read the whole thread, but it was worth it. Just realized I read 3 years worth of posts, (2011-2014 as of now) and I wasted away 4 hours of my life. Great thread that is still going strong. Good luck with this new batch of eggs and congrats on the new tank! I have begun following the thread, and intend to keep reading. Continue doing what you do.

Also, do you think I could fit a few discus in a  planted 20 gallon long? I really like the look but have never kept discus and I would love your advice.

Thanks,
        CoryFever
Wasted away 4 hours of your life! 
cry1.gif

cry1.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

20 gallon long(is that 70 litres?). Sounds a little bit on the small size for a Discus tank. What are the dimensions? Discus grow really quite big, as aquarium fish go, so need a good bit of space. In particular they like a deep tank 18 inches ++.

In the perfect world, and IMO, it is best to create a tank to suit the fish, rather than trying to make the fish suit a tank. If you know what I mean? 

They are great fish to keep though, but then I am biased toward them 
tongue2.gif

(Yep, this post has been going on a long time! If I was smart I would have given up by now!!! But I ain't smart 
blink.png
)

Stupid is, as stupid does!
Dunno.gif

That last spawn was largely infertile, so I removed it. I suspect it was because I was using tap water. Yesterday I saw they were getting ready to spawn again, so I did a quick water change and used an RO/tapwater mix. The eggs "look" good for now. Added Meth Blue, and up'd the water temp by a couple of degrees.

Eggs are around the back of the tube out of sight, but parents are being attentive. 

[/URL]">http://

Flipping heck! They ate the eggs! Frustration doesn't even come close to what I feel!!!

Yes pleasee! updates :D i absolutely loved reading this and seeing the photos :)

Sorry Guys, I am away working for a few weeks, so the fish are all back in the main tank so it's easier for my girlfriend to take care of them. I need to be at home when they are in the love shack, as they need quite a bit of care.

As soon as I am back home I will put 3 pairs back in there. 

I just got wrigglers!

In the community tank on their third spawning!
For the moment they are doing a sterling job at keeping away anything that moves. The rummynoses are pretty much living in a corner at the moment.

The other pair is also unusually aggressive and spawned recently (their fourth spawn) and are keeping watch of something behind a log. I wonder if there are wrigglers there too...

I have been reading this entire thread over the last 3 days.  I am SO frustrated that you havn't had a success yet, so I can't even begin to imagine your frustration. 

I can only imagine the perma-grin you will have when you finally crack the case.   Good Luck!!

And I will NEVER own a discus!!  LOL  Too much work for this mama.   I don't think I tend my own children this well!!!

Is it unlikely for a young pair to get to free swimming fry on their third attempt in a community tank?

Zante said:
Is it unlikely for a young pair to get to free swimming fry on their third attempt in a community tank?
Zante, I would say it is unlikely to get free swimming fry in a community tank at any point. If the fry make it as far as free swimming, they will most likely become lunch for the other tank mates!  The parents won't have so much trouble protecting the eggs and wrigglers, but they won't be able to protect the free swimming fry. I have only ever seen it once in my tank, and the fry were all gone within 24 hours of swimming. 
confused.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back